Skinwalkers (1986)

by Tony Hillerman

Series: Jim Chee (4), Leaphorn/Chee (7)

The Navajo Tribal Police investigate the murder of a medicine man. At the crime scene is a partially completed pictograph. One clue sends a chill through a young officer: the arrow used in the killing has a tip of human bone, a sign that a Navajo spirit - a "skinwalker"--Is at work.

English (28)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (31)
Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee of the Navajo Tribal Police, are working the homicides of a couple of older men on the reservation, men who didn't seem to know each other and had few acquaintances, so the officers can't find a connection, especially when they might have to include in the death count a young health services woman who was so disliked that there could be any number of people who would be glad she was dead. When Chee turns out to be an intended victim and he finds indications of Navajo witchcraft, the officers are even more confused. ( )
  mstrust | Apr 5, 2021 |
3.5 stars

Jim Chee is a cop and is shot at through the walls of his trailer. Joe Leaphorn comes to help solve Chee's attempted murder, plus three other recent murders on the Navajo reservation.

I did like the book, but I just don't have much to say about it. It was good, though it won't have me running out to read others in the series. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 15, 2020 |
1st with Leaphorn and Chee together
  ritaer | Apr 12, 2020 |
2019 reread via audiobook narrated by George Guidall, borrowed from RBDigitial

First book in this series with both Chee and Leaphorn. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 18, 2019 |
The idea of 'skinwalkers' (witches, Navajo witchcraft) was a weird theme for me. Other Hillerman novels touch on the existence but in this story, the premise seemed weak and the plot wasn't very engaging. However, I love the landscape descriptions, and the Jim Chee view of tradition and harmony, so well worth reading. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jul 21, 2018 |

Tony Hillermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fröba, KlausTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We Navajo understand Coyote is always waiting out there, just out of sight. And Coyote is always hungry.
--Alex Etcitty, born to the Water Is Close People
This book is dedicated to Katy Goodwin, Ursula Wilson, Faye Bia Knoki, Bill Gloyd, Annie Kahn, Robert Bergman, and George Bock, and all the Medicine People, Navajo and belagana, who care for The People - and about them. My thanks to Dr. Albert Rizzoli for his kindness and his help, and a tip of my hat to the good work of the too often unappreciated Indian Health Service.
When the cat came through the little trapdoor at the bottom of the screen it made a clack-clack sound.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,744,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible