An Unholy Alliance by Susanna Gregory

An Unholy Alliance (1996)

by Susanna Gregory

246None46,414 (3.62)5

Realised I haven't read the latest few of these, so am working my way through to them in order. Book 2. Poor Matthew Bartholomew, all he wants to do is get on with teaching his students his slightly unorthodox methods of treating patients and he gets dragged off to solve two mysteries. They appear to be related, but in fact it is two, and that only becomes apparent right at the end (which I wont give away). As previously, the largeer than life Brother michael is also tasked with solving the mystery of how a friar broke into the University stong box and got himself killed and then locked in the chect. oops. the second concerns a series of prostitute murders, but also the murder of a young woman who came to Bartholomew for help, only to find herself dead the next night. Via a series of poisioned locks, a miserable clerk and some cloth wagon stealing, our two slightly inept detectives do actually sort it all out. They really ought to work out who to trust, rather than discussin the case with all and sundry, including the clerk, who's up to his armpits in it! ( )
  Helenliz | Mar 31, 2013 |
2nd in the Matthew Bartholomew Chronicles. Reminiscent of Humberto Ecco's Name of the Rose, I think, but not as good. I found the book an easy, fast read, but was getting pretty bored with it by the end. Like much historical fiction, I found it an easy entry into the period (of which I know virtually nothing).
  kaulsu | Aug 28, 2009 |
An improvement on the first book; I like the continuum from the first with the society still recovering from the effects of plague. Whilst the plot is sound I just can't get on with the writer's style. ( )
1 vote soliloquies | Aug 13, 2008 |
For Peter Sage
Cambridge, 1350

Isobel Watkins glanced fearfully behind her for at least the fourth time since leaving the home of the wealthy merchant on Milne Street.
"Unholy Alliance" is also the title of a book by [[Peter Levenda]].

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0751519359, Mass Market Paperback)

In 1350, Cambridge lies ravaged by the Black Death. Crime flourishes too—three harlots are found with slit throats and branded feet, a friar dies rifling a strongbox full of college chronicles, and the Vice Chancellor of the University vanishes from his sick chamber with all its furnishings. Now the Chancellor calls on the deductive skill of Matthew Bartholomew, Master of Medicine. Busy enough already with the teaching and practice of new techniques, Bartholomew welcomes the investigative help of portly Brother Michael—a shrewd and merry monk, not unduly shocked by sins of the flesh. And soon—from an exotic poison to a surge of devil worship, from a grisly exhumation to a sweetheart's dying words—they are on a tangled and perilous trail of conspiracy and obsession.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:29 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,489,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible