The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines

The Stepsister Scheme

by Jim C. Hines

Series: Princess [Hines] (1)

8196417,180 (3.69)1 / 57
"You know how all those old fairy tales take you through lots of scary adventures till you finally reach that inevitable line: 'And they all lived happily ever after--' Guess what? It's not true. Life in never-never land isn't all sweetness and light. Cinderella--whose real name is Danielle Whiteshore (née Danielle de Glas)--does marry Prince Armand. And their wedding is a dream come true. But not long after the 'happily ever after, ' Danielle is attacked by her stepsister Charlotte, who suddenly has all sorts of magic to call upon. And though Talia--otherwise known as Sleeping Beauty--comes to the rescue (she's a martial arts master, and all those fairy blessings make her almost unbeatable), Charlotte gets away."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (SockMonkeyGirl)
    The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey (Murphy-Jacobs)
    Murphy-Jacobs: Classic fairy tales and folk legends pushed, pulled, and twisted about into tales of romance and adventure. Good sense of humor in both books, and plenty of strong, competent female characters.
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (63)  Swedish (1)  All languages (64)
Setting it aside on page 86. It's pacey, amusing, and I dig the arse-kickingness of our trio of fairytale princesses. I also like Jim Hines in general and want to enjoy his writing. But it's just too glib and whimsical for me to really enjoy, so rather than pushing on and possibly getting the irrits, I'm just taking a "not for me" pass.
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
What happens after the fairytale romance and wedding? It reminded me a little of the show "Into the Woods" with characters from other stories mixed into Danielle's story and it isn't all sweet and light like the prettied up fairytales we tend to give our children these days.

It was a pretty good diversion and I would like to read more of these.
  hailelib | Feb 23, 2019 |
Pretty much every fairy tale ends with the words “And they lived happily ever after”. But do they? In The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines, the author picks up the story of Cinderella a few months after the marriage. Danielle is still very much in love with her Prince Armand, but her stepsisters haven’t accepted the situation at all. As the elder stepsister escapes after an attempt to assassinate Danielle, she leaves behind the knowledge that the Prince has been kidnapped. Danielle bands together with two other princesses whose happily ending didn’t work out, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White. Together these three princesses embark on a quest to save Armand.

The Stepsister Scheme was everything I look for in a fairy tale retelling. The author cleverly uses story elements from the original but enhances and broadens the story. The use of humor, action and magic move the story quickly. The three princesses were unique and interesting characters, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

This is the first book in this author’s Princess series and I can’t wait to carry on with these books and meet more kick-a** princesses. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Feb 7, 2019 |
The Stepsister Scheme is the first in a series of fairytale retelling/mashup novels by Jim C. Hines. It follows what happened after the "happily ever after" found at the end of essentially every fairytale. It also pulls from more sources than just the Disney versions of the stories that many people are familiar with. ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |
I picked up this book at a friend's recommendation, and while I suspected I would enjoy it, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself looking forward to the next book in the series before I'd hit page 100. It was refreshing to read such a new and unique spin on classic fairy tales, and I really loved the banter between the characters. I will definitely be picking up the next book soon! ( )
  Caltania | Apr 26, 2018 |
Sometimes There Are Men Who Get It Right This author is proof that men can actually grok the full humanity of le deuxième sexe, and write it into their fictional worlds. without having the female characters come across as either absent, ciphers, stereotypes, or sex-fantasies.

You all know about Jim Hines, I expect? The Stepsister Scheme, The Mermaid’s Madness, Red Hood’s Revenge? (What, is that a no in the audience? I’m shocked, simply shocked.) His novels are fairly feminist and usually a lot of fun, and I’m looking forward to seeing if Libriomancer continues in the same vein.

added by feeling.is.first | editTor.com, Liz Bourke (Sep 11, 2012)

Jim C. Hinesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fischer, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Skylar
Danielle Whiteshore, formerly Danielle de Glas, would never be a proper princess. Not if the title required her to actually remember so many trifling details.

Jim C. Hines is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,775,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible