Cinder

by Marissa Meyer

Series: Lunar Chronicles (1)

8,212737779 (4.09)1 / 470
As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.

English (731)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (736)
I love a good retelling story, and that is exactly what I got with this book! It is a very unique and interesting retelling of Cinderella. Though, this Cinder lives in the future where some people still live on Earth, and others live on the moon. Cinder is Asian, a cyborg, and a mechanic. She doesn't have to worry about losing a shoe, she has to worry about losing the whole foot! ( )
  Completely_Melanie | Sep 10, 2021 |
I had this book in my to-read list for ages, but I didn’t know if I would have actually read it, since the premises seemed a little too absurd to me. I mean, a Cinderella retelling in a post apocalyptic world where the protagonist is a cyborg; frankly, I thought that the author had bitten more than she could chew.
Then I read “Heartless” and I fell in love with it. So I decided to give the Lunar Chronicle a chance. And I don’t regret it.
I really liked Cinder. The scifi setting worked really well, and I really liked the world building. The only thing that didn’t convince me was the romance, but in the scheme of things I can ignore it. ( )
  mariu911 | Sep 6, 2021 |
This is such a fun and unique take on Cinderella and Rebecca Soler was such an awesome narrator. I really enjoyed the intersections of issues Cinder faces and discusses, and I hope it leads people to think about real-life intersectional hostilities people face every day. I definitely understand why this series is a tried and true favorite for so many readers, and I'll be picking up the rest of this series shortly! ( )
  Nikki_Sojkowski | Aug 26, 2021 |
RGG: A fun idea, a re-telling of the story of Cinderalla in the mode of science fiction--which makes the story middle grade, but the writing more difficult. Reading Interest: 12-14.
  rgruberexcel | Aug 24, 2021 |
  rgruberexcel | Aug 24, 2021 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grzeslo, BarbaraDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Plot Summary: Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague sweeps the population of New Beijing. However, Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, and she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.
Extensions: fracture fairy tale lesson, parallels, symbolism

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,275,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible