Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder

by Marissa Meyer

Series: Lunar Chronicles (1)

5,8496251,055 (4.1)1 / 444

English (619)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (624)
Just finished this up while my daughter is having her piano lesson. She and I have been doing this as a buddy read, which was fun. This is a creative retelling of the Cinderella story with Cinderella as a cyborg. I enjoyed the futuristic details of the story and he Cinder character. Pretty typical YA otherwise. ( )
  redwritinghood38 | Nov 6, 2018 |
This was a really fun page turner. Marissa Meyer took the cyborg Cinderella idea and ran with it. The elements are all there - evil stepmother, two stepsisters, prince, ball, gowns - and she managed to make it into a dystopian plague - planetary politics - evil Queen story. Well written, flows well, and now I want to read the sequel! ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Let me start by saying the rating I gave this book may be a bit inaccurate. After all, it was written by someone whose age could make her my granddaughter and whose target audience was even younger girls, but who managed to keep me up last night past midnight in order to finish reading the book. So, it had that going for it, and that's not nothing. I might also point out that the author was born, raised, and apparently still lives in a city in which I worked for over a decade. We both graduated from the same relatively small university. And I understand she has a deep interest in "fairy tales" in particular and creative writing in general. While the book is v-e-r-y loosely founded on the Cinderella story, it is really a small part "1984" book, part "Mean Girls" movie (much too big a part, in my opinion), and part whatever the author was going for with the Cinderella story line. At the risk of skirting dangerously close to offering up spoilers, I will point out three -- no make that four -- specific "issues" I had with the book. First, there is a matter of a piece of "machinery" from which a character needs the stored information off. Despite the fact the author seems to know a reasonably good amount about computer science, she apparently did not know there was a fairly easy way to retrieve the information because it never gets mentioned or used. Secondly, there is an often mentioned characteristic(?), phenomenon(?), about the story's nemesis that the author inexplicably forgets for no good reason at a point in the narrative. Since the author was a book editor before writing this series of books, I found that a poor reflection on her past skills. Third, I would like to ask the author if she can think of a single time in world history when a group of warring nations ended their conflict by mutually creating an alliance and establishing royalty to govern it, instead of it being forced upon them by the dominant player. (The narrative did not require there be a prince, despite it being sown from a Cinderella seed.) Finally, fairly early on in the book, I surmised a key dynamic of the book's narrative. There is a fact about the main character that gets a huge, dramatic reveal at the end of the book. Since I had already figured that out many chapters earlier, it undoubtedly had to have some effect on minimizing my suspense through out most of the book, and, knowing this was the first book in a series -- oops, I'm getting too close to a spoiler. From watching an interview with the author and reading comments from fans of this book series, I'm led to believe the author may have eliminated some of this book's shortcomings in subsequent books. NOTE: This book was read as part of a Books on Tap event sponsored by a public library and a local cidery. ( )
  larryerick | Oct 25, 2018 |
All I can say about this book is wow! While it is based off of Cinderella it is very, very different from the original! cyborgs, outer space, new world! wowzers!
definitely giving this 5 out of 5 stars and I can't wait to read Scarlet! ( )
  ReadingwithLynn | Sep 25, 2018 |

“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

This book is like eating chocolate and treasuring each page, you are transported into a fantasy world, you want to dance sing, recommend it and so much more.

Maybe it will not be for everyone – but alas I am not everyone, and love reading YA books, I love Cinderella feeling you get when reading a book, and feeling like a kid again, so maybe I am still a kid at heart, but anything that takes me away for day to day misery is a winner in my book, and I love watching movies, a few examples – The Lion king, Bambi, Tarzan – YEAH I KNOW – I am too old for that but who cares I do not care – and I AM NOT ASHAMED TO ADMIT IT
This is another book I am going to buy and add to my book shelve,

“I am not worth starting a war over.” His eyes brightened behind the spectacles. He looked young for a moment, almost giddy. “Actually, you are.” She cocked her head, squinting at him. Maybe he really was mad.”

A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes

Cinderella Trailer Music

Cinderella - Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone)

A few paragraphs / quotes → I loved

Lily James - A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes (from Disney’s “Cinderella”)

“I found your pretty new mechanic down in the lobby, and she tells me she’s here to check on the med-droids again. You know I could get you funding for some upgraded models if you require it.” Cinder started at that simple word—pretty—but neither Kai nor Dr. Erland looked at her. Teetering”

“Cinder tapped her fingers against her hip. Repairs—what a very cyborg term.”

“She was immune. She was important.”

“She sounded about as displeased as a cat who’d just cornered a mouse.”

“a willow tree was weeping from the heavy rain, a coy pond nearly overflowing.”

“She could be anyone. Become anyone. The thought both sickened and frightened her, but the resolve made her calm again.”

“It’s not like wires are contagious,”

“Her body simultaneously yearned to close the gap between them and push him away. The anticipation that warmed her lips made it impossible to do either.

“My sincerest condolences, Your Highness. In more ways than one, it seems.”

Recommend to the following type of readers: →
Over 12 etc.

To the Author
AMAZING!

Savehouse | Sep 24, 2018 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grzeslo, BarbaraDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Plot Summary: Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague sweeps the population of New Beijing. However, Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, and she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.
Extensions: fracture fairy tale lesson, parallels, symbolism

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,221,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible