Cinder

by Marissa Meyer

Series: The Lunar Chronicles (1)

9,459770680 (4.08)1 / 484
As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.

English (763)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (767)
  liltastypuff | Sep 12, 2022 |
Fairy tale retelling with a sci-fi dystopian twist?? Sign me up.

All 4 books (Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, Winter) are solid and each were finished in one sitting. I was counting the days until Winter would be published in paperback and thus, I could finally read it and see how the story ends.

All the characters are so charming and well-rounded. Meyer also stuck closer to the original fairytales, not the family friendly versions that Disney told. ( )
  Adlanji | Sep 6, 2022 |
Totally engrossing. Couldn't stop reading. Wonderful main character. Can't wait to see where this series goes. ( )
  DebCushman | Aug 25, 2022 |
  panamamama | Aug 2, 2022 |
An engaging premise—a Cinderella retelling with a cyborg as a main character, set in a dystopian future Beijing—made me want to read this book.

I could barely get through it. Flat characters, no growth in the characters, a barely mentioned setting—even at 10 or 12 I would have found this book lacking almost any reason to keep reading. I understand that it’s a first novel, but the author should have spent another six months or a year working with what amounts to a skeletal story. ( )
  Matke | Aug 1, 2022 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grzeslo, BarbaraDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four: The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Plot Summary: Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague sweeps the population of New Beijing. However, Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, and she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.
Extensions: fracture fairy tale lesson, parallels, symbolism

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,304,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible