Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder

by Marissa Meyer

Series: Lunar Chronicles (1)

6,301659973 (4.09)1 / 452

English (652)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (657)
Once upon a time, there was a cyborg named Linh Cinder. Traditional fairytale meets science fiction in Marissa Meyer’s Cinder, the first novel in The Lunar Chronicles. Meyer brings new life to a classic tale that most people know like the back of their hands.

Cinder lives in the future in a city called New Beijing, home of humans, cyborgs, and androids. The city is plagued by a nasty disease coined letumosis which easily decimates much of the population. Cinder’s highly-skilled work in mechanics helps keep her step-family off of the poverty-stricken streets. When Prince Kai, the local ruler, comes to call on an urgent matter, her life turns topsy-turvy.

Cinder is one of the strongest female protagonists I have ever had the pleasure of reading in the young adult fiction genre. While she lacks knowledge about her past, she is very confident in her abilities and she possesses a highly intuitive personality. Cinder acknowledges her unfortunate situation as a ward to a selfish and uncaring stepmother, but she does not allow her problematic position to bring her down. She is her own hero.

I was also impressed by Meyer’s decision to provide Cinder with both a sympathetic stepsister, Peony, and an adoring female android, Iko. It is not often that so many female characters interact, let alone relate to each other on such a high level in modern young adult fiction. I found myself rooting for all three characters and hoping that their relationships blossomed.

While love interests seem to be guaranteed in this genre, I found the exchanges between Kai and Cinder to be refreshing and shockingly realistic. Love does not always happen right away, and often one’s attempts to woo another end rather horrifically, or in this case, hilariously.

On a more serious note, the novel addresses a few intriguing questions, including to what lengths must a society go to prevent a highly contagious disease from spreading? And how would it find a cure for the disease? Meyer touches on the fact that there are never easy answers to these questions, and when decisions are made lightly, people suffer greatly.

The fully-formed relationships between characters, the twist on the classic tale, and the developments related to letumosis left me devouring Cinder in only a few days. It is quite the page-turner, and I look forward to reading the rest of the four novels in the series.
  Codonnelly | Jun 24, 2019 |
Cyborg Cinderella story, saw a lot of the story coming although there was a surprise or two. Ending was VERY abrupt, left unsatisfied. Listened to audio narrated by Rebecca Soler, was well done.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
I borrowed this book from a friend. We both loved the Twilight and Hunger Games series, so I was hoping for something along those lines. I was a little disappointed. I think the young adult audience will love this, but it doesn't do it for me as an adult. I did like the Asian feel throughout the book. Not a lot of the books I read have Asian main characters. Cinder and Prince Kai were both likable characters. But the big reveal of Cinder's identity was too easy to guess very early on. And I hated how mean her step mother was to her. I know this was inspired by Cinderella, but I still didn't like that part of it. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Well, my friends have been giving this some mixed reviews, but I quite liked it. To be fair, the fact that it wasn't riddled with errors gets it a star all on it's own. But, I was interested enough and attached enough to the characters to be a little disappointed when it was over and to want to read on. A retelling of Cinderella with cyborgs, a detachable foot and an evil queen from the moon? What's not to like?

However, it is part of a series, and not much is resolved at the end of this one, so I'll have to see how it goes when I read on. I have to say that it did drive me nuts that when referring to the upcoming "coronation" the author kept talking about him being "coronated". As far as my spell check is concerned that isn't even a word. Maybe it's just me, but one is "crowned" at a "coronation", not "coronated"...right? Whatever, it sounds wrong and it drove me NUTS, because she kept saying it.

*sigh*

Otherwise, I had no complaints. It wasn't classic literature or anything, but miles ahead of some of the rubbish I read. I would really have given it 3 1/2 stars if Otis ever got round to that. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
When I first started reading this book, I did not think that I would enjoy it. I was incredibly wrong. This book was suspenseful, engaging, and emotional. At times I felt like crying when reading what was happening to poor Cinder. I found myself cheering for her when she was trying to change her life and felt sympathy for her at every wrong turn. ( )
  Michelle_Boyea | Jun 7, 2019 |

Meyer, MarissaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grzeslo, BarbaraDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Plot Summary: Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague sweeps the population of New Beijing. However, Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, and she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.
Extensions: fracture fairy tale lesson, parallels, symbolism

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,631,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible