Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder

by Marissa Meyer

Series: Lunar Chronicles (1)

5,016577903 (4.11)1 / 425

English (573)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All (577)
I was super not impressed with Cinder's really immature attitude at the beginning of this book. Prince Kai was a whiney snot too. I nearly put the book half way through. But the characters did grow up a little.
Even though I knew how this book was going to end during the first chapter, it was still kind of fun to see it all unfold.
I didn't think I would read (ok, listen- because I am doing this audio book style) the rest of the series, but it ended well enough that it made me want to see what happens. I would have given this book 2 stars two days ago. Today it gets 3. It is entertaining and a fun new take on the Cinderella story. ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
This story had me hoping for a fairy tale happy ending.

Cyborgs, androids, incurable plague, adorable prince, rusty heroine. Not your usual Cinderella story.

BUT, I loved it! Such a unique world, unique take on this classic fairy tale. Cinder has a cyborg foot instead of a class slipper. Amazing. The writing style is excellent--engaging. No stupid back-flashes or back story. The author blends all the elements of this future world seamlessly.

I only wished there was some resolution between her and the prince. To be continued is so T.V. You shouldn't have to feel obligated to buy the next book because the story is unfinished, you should have to feel obligated to buy the next book because you loved it. Which lucky for Ms. Meyer, I did. This book was great up until the end. It left you with no closure. You absolutely have to read the next book. I hate that.

Excellent read. Clean. Adorable. So Cinderella-esque. ( )
1 vote LisaRector | Sep 28, 2017 |
I started Cinder last year (2016.) It was one of the first ebooks I ever bought because I could not seem to finish the hardback I had borrowed from the library. Then, after working on it intermittently, I could not finished the ebook. Finally I slotted it into the Authors’ Watercooler challenge, and after some starts and stops, I did finish it. Now know why I had such a problem finishing it. It was that dull.

Now, I know this book has its defenders, and many of them have valid points; I’ve also got three decades on the intended audience, which was 12 to 17. But even considering that, I still don’t get the love. The whole plot was obvious, for one thing. It’s a science fiction take on Cinderella, with a female cyborg as the title character, and that should tell you how it’s going to go. Fairytale/SF mashups have been done before, and well; I was a big fan Joan D. Vinge’s Snow Queen series, for example. But Vinge did what Meyer did not, create a solid SF underpinning for her world. Cinder was more like an old-fashioned Sword and Planet action story from the glory days of the pulps. The SF elements were given only the most cursory of explanations, if at all.

On to the story. Cinder is a put-upon cyborg stepdaughter in a future Asian nation that has somehow gone backward and reinstated its emperor. Cyborgs are considered inhuman, and shunned by everyone. Fine, but the book also depicts being a cyborg as pretty cool and transhuman: the heroine has internal interfaces that let her call up information at will, like a mental internet, and she can adjust her own senses and regulate her emotions. She CAN ALSO TELL WHEN PEOPLE ARE LYING. That’s a pretty useful skill! She’s got a metal hand and leg! So why doesn’t wicked stepmother send her out to play poker, or shake people down for cash? Plus, all those useful implants must be pretty expensive. Why are cyborgs considered worthless slaves? Why doesn’t everyone want to be one? Faulty plot logic there.

The setting also made no sense. It wasn’t until the last third of book that I found out this is the time after the “Fourth World War” and nations and cultures have gotten mashed up and amalgamated, with some, for no reason, reverting to monarchies. I couldn’t figure out why a Singapore-like city was being called an Empire and the son of the emperor was just casually walking around, or why the heroine has a Vietnamese surname, but her family no Vietnamese culture. Actually, the whole setting just served as pretty window-dressing like dangling red lanterns in a noodle shop.

And then there’s those royal families and their damn gowns and balls. Why does every other YA book aimed at girls have some variation of this, even the unpublished ones on Wattpad written by actual teens? Was it from the writers growing up on the Disney princess movies and toy lines that have been shoved down young female throats for the past two decades? Granted, the author subverts it by having Cinder show up at that ball in a dirty borrowed gown and not looking her best, but it’s still there serving its purpose for intrigue and romance.

The other major pulpy element was the mysterious Lunar race. These humans have mind-control powers which are given a lame explanation as being based in bioelectricity. Nice try, but brainwaves just don’t work that way, and if they did, that society would be extremely egalitarian, or extremely chaotic, not ruled by a Royal house with queens and princesses and royal dressmakers. There’s no explanation anywhere for why the “Lunarians” developed these powers, or how they can live on an airless, sterile world with no resources and yet be able to raise an army there large enough to threaten the “Earthens.” (I hate this author’s terminology. What’s wrong with the time-worn but worthy Terran?)

Unlike Red Queen, which was infuriating in the same way with its faulty science, but entertaining and readable in a potboiler way, Cinder depicts its elements too carefully and seriously. It lacked the trashy exuberance it could have had.

My Kindle addition also had some glaring errors — a “coy pond” instead of a koi pond, “under-arms” not underarms, and “preoccupied fingers” instead of occupied fingers. At one point Earth is referred to as part of a greater galaxy of human planets, but it’s never mentioned again. As far as I know, in this series the only inhabited planets are Earth and the Moon.

And no, that sexy red high-heeled shoe does not make an appearance in the book.
  Cobalt-Jade | Sep 25, 2017 |
Ahhh! This book!!! I love this book!

I don’t know why I waited so long to pick it up - it’s been sitting on the shelves of the library where I work for years now, and I kept looking at it and wondering about it, but assuming it wouldn’t really be my thing. I was wrong!

This is a fresh twist on Cinderella - set in the future, in New Beijing, where Cinder is a cyborg, treated like property in the eyes of the law, she is owned by her legal guardian. I love Cinder, who is a tough, resourceful and intelligent young lady. She is a mechanic and the sole breadwinner for her family, through her booth at the local market - not that they thank her for it, as they look down on her. Anti-cyborg prejudice is strong in this world, as they are not seen as “real” people and are the first to be drafted as lab rats and guinea pigs. And the doctors in this world need guinea pigs because they are trying to find a cure for a horrible plague which is sweeping the planet. Annnnd there is colony of evil Lunars with “magic” living on the moon who want to take over the earth!

Cinder just wants to work her job at the market, with her only friend, an android with a “faulty” personality chip. When who should come to her booth, but Prince Kaito himself? He doesn’t realize Cinder is a cyborg because she always wears her thick mechanic’s gloves, and the two have the most adorable flirty friendship with hints that it could be more, if not for the fact that both have larger responsibilities. Despite being next in line to be emperor, Prince Kaito, or Kai, is genuinely warm, personable and down to earth. But someone’s been tampering with one of his personal androids, the emperor is dying of the plague, and the sinister Lunar queen, who rules through brainwashing and illusions, is inviting herself to New Beijing for a visit! The stress!

Meanwhile, Cinder’s nicer step-sister, Peony, also falls sick with the plague and her step-mother sells Cinder to the government researchers as an unwilling cyborg test-subject. There’s so much at stake! And it’s. So. Good!

I haven’t read a YA novel that made me this excited in a long time, but I really love the world Meyer has created here, and her characters are the kind of people I’d actually want to hang out with. I’ve already checked Book 2 out from the library, and can’t wait to dive in for more sci-fi/fairytale mash-up shenanigans! ( )
  catfantastic | Sep 23, 2017 |
OMG. AMAZING. I LOVED THIS. read it all in one sitting, could NOT put it down. can i say AMAZING again???????

2016 reread - always as good as the first time :) ( )
  ohkamikaze | Sep 21, 2017 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grzeslo, BarbaraDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

AR level 5.8, 12 pts

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,488,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible