Cinder

by Marissa Meyer

Series: Lunar Chronicles (1)

7,415711860 (4.08)1 / 467
As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.

English (704)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (709)
Can NOT wait for the sequel. I don't want to spoil anything, but wow... nice nice twists. ( )
  Jessica_Olin | Sep 17, 2020 |
Lihn Cinder lives in New Beijing in a post WWIV world. She is a gifted mechanic who just happens to be a cyborg with a leg and arm replaced by mechanical parts. Cinder would love nothing more than to be a normal person, rather than a second class citizen in debt to her “master”, her adopted father’s widowed wife. She has no memory of her time before the accident that turned her into a cyborg and her adopted father died shortly after turning her over to his wife from a plague. Cinder has no other human connections that we know of and she’s just a “lowly” cyborg. Cyborgs are the guinea pigs of society, and each week they are drafted into “volunteering” for experimentation in the search for a cure for letumosis. Letumosis killed her adopted father and is still roaming the cities of Earth years later, marking its victims with purple rosettes and killing them quickly. The emperor is dying of the disease and victims are found throughout the city, causing panic.

Cinder’s life is no more exciting than the average citizen, until Prince Kai shows up at her booth asking her to repair a personal android. Cinder is blown away despite herself. Only moments after meeting the prince and promising to do her best to help him she’s yanked back to reality when the baker across the street from her shows signs of the first stage of letumosis and the market is shut down around her. When letumosis strikes next it steals away her sister and embroils Cinder in the search for a cure. Things don’t go exactly as planned however and Cinder finds herself as a confidant to the newly crowned emperor, and wanted by the Lunar queen as she plans her global take-over.

Now Kai and Cinder are trapped in a war not of their making. Lunars, as the inhabitants of the moon are called, are despised and feared by the people of Earth. The people of the moon have a type of power, similar to mind control, which allows them to force compliance and “good” behavior on others. Weakened by wars, illness and death, Earth is ripe for the plucking, but not if Cinder has anything to say about it.

This book is a futuristic retelling of Cinderella. It’s a mix of sci-fi (cyborgs, a futuristic world, life on the moon) and fantasy (Cinderella, strange powers bordering on the fantastic). The story of Cinderella has been told dozens of times in dozens of ways, some good, some not so good. This happens to be one of the good ones in my opinion. Cinder is self sufficient and capable with a real job, a physical one at that. She’s a kind person but doesn’t take a lot of crap, either. Prince Kai is everything a prince should be. He’s handsome and charming, but he’s also afraid for his people and willing to make great sacrifices. He is thrust into leadership by his father’s illness and death. He is struggling to cope not only with his grief but by demands from outside forces. There is this current trend in books to have “bad boys” and allow said “bad boys” to basically emotionally abuse their heroines because the hero is so “wounded”. Not so for this book, thankfully, because I’m getting sick of it. As dysfunctional as Kai and Cinder’s friendship is, it’s still more functional than a lot of them out there.

There’s a ball, even a pumpkin of sorts, a wicked stepmother and at least one semi-wicked stepsister. Those are the bare bones of the story though. This is a story about people struggling with illness and waste in a future world very similar to and very different from ours. This is a story about a prince caught between what he should do and what he wants to do. This is a story about a girl who is so much more than she is allowed to me, carrying around huge secrets, some she’s not even aware of and all that would crush her if she allowed them too. The story ends on a cliffhanger, so you have been warned!

The writing is not lyrical, which is the one thing I would have liked, considering this is a fairytale. The story is good however, and the relationship is sound and enjoyable. It is a different read for fantasy readers not used to sci-fi elements like cyborgs, etc., but I still think it is comparable to worlds created by other fantasy authors and therefore very accessible for fantasy readers.
  lclclauren | Sep 12, 2020 |
My review of this book can be found on my Youtube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | Sep 10, 2020 |
I loved the plot and all that but found the story a bit slow, boring and a bit predictable. Although I loved the world.

I don't know what is wrong with me but I will definitely try to read the second book because I still have hope for myself in this series. ( )
  themoonwholistens | Aug 31, 2020 |
Awesome YA novel based on Cinderella! Seamless world-building, strong characters, marvelous female lead. Unfortunately, serious cliffhanger ending, but I was definitely left feeling confident that Cinder would do okay. ( )
  JenniferElizabeth2 | Aug 25, 2020 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grzeslo, BarbaraDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Plot Summary: Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague sweeps the population of New Beijing. However, Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, and she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.
Extensions: fracture fairy tale lesson, parallels, symbolism

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,713,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible