The Street by Ann Petry

The Street (1946)

by Ann Petry

this was brilliant and staggering and heartbreaking, and needs to be talked about more than it is. It's going on my mental bookshelf right next to Ellison's Invisible Man in scope of themes, style, and importance. ( )
  inescapableabby | Nov 28, 2018 |
This DARK gritty tale is crucial reading for all "entitled white people" who grew up having anything they wanted at their disposal.
It is essential to all humans to periodically HUMBLE themselves, and take the time to be understanding and helpful towards all struggling people. I can NOT imagine growing up black in NYC during this time. To be simply put- I probably wouldn't have made it.
This was a complete eye opener, and the fact that it is just ONE story amongst the thousands of Black people who have lived through this struggle.
As a mother of a mixed child, it is crucial I learn and read all I can every topic of this nature. I will protect her against all costs. ( )
  XoVictoryXo | Jun 28, 2017 |
This is another book I never would have read if it weren't for my book group. Ann Petry wrote this book as a Houghton Mifflin Literary fellow and, apparently, when it was published sold over a million copies. It's the story of a Lutie Johnson, a young black woman in Harlem in the 1940's who is struggling to make a better life for herslef and her young son, but is thwarted t every turn by the prejudice of the day and the violence and poverty that surrounds her in her Harlem neighborhood. For every step she makes forward, she seems to make two steps back until she succombs to the fate of too many African-Americans. This is a heartbreaking story that, sadly, is still too relevant today. ( )
  etxgardener | Dec 12, 2016 |
This book does for the black experience in pre-civil rights America what 'The Grapes of Wrath' did for the migrants of the depression - which is to relentlessly pummel the reader with suffering and injustice page after page. Each time it seems a chink of light has appeared, it is quickly extinguished. Written with bleak eloquence, it is at times long winded (I'm still not sure what the character Min added to the story), but it is very good at immersing the reader in her characters' world and demonstrating the ways in which their hopes are frustrated. This is not a book coasting towards a happy ending: quite the opposite, though I had not anticipated how heartwrenching it was ultimately going to be. ( )
  jayne_charles | Mar 5, 2016 |
Started but did not grab me. Seemed plodding. ( )
  tsgood | May 30, 2014 |
To my mother Bertha James Lane
There was a cold November wind blowing through 116th Street.

'She was stuck here on this street, in this dark dirty house...She had a sudden vivid recollection of the tragic, resigned faces of the young girls and the old man she had seen in the spring. No. She would never become like that.'  It is New York City, 1944. Leaving a broken marriage, Lutie Johnson and nine-yer-old Bub, move to a rundown tenement in 116th Street, where the heavy sour smell of garbage lingers in its dingy airless rooms. Determined to make a proper home for her son, she struggles to earn money, singing in a nightclub. But Lutie is Black, and 'too good-looking to be decent' and slowly she becomes trapped in a vicious network of corruption. This powerful story of the ghetto nightmare of Harlem, by an important exponent of the Richard Wright school of protest fiction, was first published in 1946. 'A work of close documentation and intimate perception...a gripping tale' - New York Times

THE STREET tells the poignant, often heartbreaking story of Lutie Johnson, a young black woman, and her spirited struggle to raise her son amid the violence, poverty, and racial dissonance of Harlem in the late 1940s. Originally published in 1946 and hailed by critics as a masterwork, The Street was Ann Petry's first novel, a beloved bestseller with more than a million copies in print. Its haunting tale still resonates today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:35 -0400)

Reprint of a 1946 novel, based upon the true story of Lutie Johnson, a young African-American woman who struggled to live and raise her son in the midst of the poverty and violence of Harlem in the late 1940s.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,102,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible