Don't Look Back by Karin Fossum
    Unspoken by Mari Jungstedt (MGovers)
    MGovers: What can happen if you know too much

English (52)  Spanish (2)  All languages (54)
I read the first in this series a few years ago. I had started this one but couldn't get into it -didn't like the way it started. Finally tried again and loved it. Very atmospheric, good plot and interesting twists, unexpected murderer. A good balance of depth of characters and suspenseful plot without being overly fast paced, not superficial at all. Really enjoyed it. Now can move on to the next in the series. More of a psychological study than an action-drama, but that is what I like. ( )
  MitchMcCrimmon | Apr 27, 2018 |
A satisfying murder mystery (Inspector Sejer). Full of psychological profiling of mains that also serves to gives you view of contemporary Norway. Good plot pace. As a mystery would have given a 4 or even 4 and a half star rating, but in relation to full literary scope of my library, it's a 3. ( )
  amaraki | Oct 10, 2017 |
A Meatloaf poster on Halvor's wall? In 1995? Ever?
Dialog is just plain weird.
Scenes w/different people are jammed together
Plodding, ham-fisted investigation
Annie is 15, but treated like an adult - jarring
too many points are repeated too soon. I got it the first time.
Since when does a teenage boy forget to eat?
bah, I'm done.
  Bookmarque | Mar 12, 2017 |
I really enjoyed it! I will absolutely be reading more of her novels. The book was fast paced and it kept me engaged from start to finish! I had ideas of "who did it" but it did not ruin it for me as her progression of how the mystery unfolded was masterful! ( )
  Hanneri | Jan 7, 2017 |
When a child disappears in a Norwegian village, everyone is worried. Detective Sejer and his new partner Jacob Skarre are called to investigate and then the girls shows up. But that is not the last bad thing that happens in the village - because the child had seen a dead woman near the lake - and the detectives, albeit not really believing it at the start, need to find out what happened to Annie - the girl that everyone seemed to love but is now dead.

This is one of the first Sejer mysteries (second in Norwegian, first translated into English) and the partnership of the detectives is just starting. It is somewhat awkward but allows for a lot of backstory. I think I will stick to the Norwegian order for the rest of the series - the characters do change a lot while the mysteries progress.

As for the mystery - it is another slow and moody mystery where detectives slowly find clues and stories; the past that keeps its secrets ends up being important for the current case. An old death, a wrong turn in the road and the tragedy was going to happen sooner or later. Although Fossum takes her time to get her detectives to find the bread crumbs that lead them to the solution.

Another good entry in the series. ( )
  AnnieMod | Mar 26, 2016 |

Karin Fossumprimary authorall editionscalculated
David, FelicityTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Für Bente Konstance
Ragnhild opened the door cautiously and peered out.
Original title: Se Deg ikke Tilbake!

Meet Inspector Sejer: smart and enigmatic, tough but fair. At the foot of the imposing Kollen Mountain lies a small, idyllic village, where neighbors know neighbors and children play happily in the streets. But when the body of a teenage girl is found by the lake at the mountaintop, the town's tranquility is shattered forever. Annie was strong, intelligent, and loved by everyone. What went so terribly wrong? Doggedly, yet subtly, Inspector Sejer uncovers layer upon layer of distrust and lies beneath the town's seemingly perfect façade.

Critically acclaimed across Europe, Karin Fossum's Inspector Sejer novels are masterfully constructed, psychologically convincing, and compulsively readable. They evoke a world that is at once profoundly disturbing and terrifyingly familiar.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:20 -0400)

In Fossum's moody and subtle U.S. debut, the fifth in her Inspector Sejer series, the popular Norwegian mystery writer displays her mastery of psychological suspense. Richly drawn characters reveal much about Norwegian society, though the setting, a picturesque valley town northwest of Oslo, isn't distinctive. A little girl disappears from her middle-class neighborhood, then returns home unharmed. Meanwhile, the search party discovers the nude corpse of a teenager, Annie Holland, and Fossum seamlessly shifts the story to a murder investigation, using several points of view to create red herrings that add to the suspense. Both girls lived in the same claustrophobic community where the residents claim to know one another but, naturally, don't really. With few clues and no witnesses, seasoned Inspector Konrad Sejer and his eager young assistant Jacob Skarre must uncover the hidden relationships and secrets they hope will lead to the killer of the well-liked, talented Annie. When they learn that the victim's behavior changed suddenly eight months earlier after a child she babysat died by accident, the plot shifts course again and drives to a stunning conclusion and ominous final scene.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,052,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible