Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

by Frank Miller

Series: Sin City (Vol. 2), Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (1-6)

The second volume of Frank Miller's signature series is now planned as the lead story in the upcoming Sin City 2! This newly redesigned edition sports a new cover by Miller - some of his first comics art in years! Stuck with nothing but a seedy gumshoe job and some demons, Dwight's thinking of all the ways he's screwed up and what he'd give for one clear chance to wipe the slate clean, to dig his way out of the numb gray hell that is his life. And he'd give anything. Just to feel the fire. One more time.… (more)

Another compelling read from Miller in his iconic Sin City series. Not much more to say than I did in my review of the first one ([b:Sin City, Vol. 1: The Hard Goodbye|392297|Sin City, Vol. 1 The Hard Goodbye (Sin City, #1)|Frank Miller|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1396598209s/392297.jpg|3696736]).

Brilliant work. ( )
  bbbart | Dec 27, 2020 |
The series continues. This time we have a very luscious femme fatale and the man she betrays. Ava is a predatory gold digger of the worst kind, and yet, a woman no man can resist. Dwight is the man she betrayed and left for a rich dude. When Ava reappears looking for Dwight, things go downhill from there leading to the final confrontation. As in the first volume of the series, the dark art style complements the story very well. In fact, it is a pleasure to read the tale just for the art. The story itself, once it gets rolling, is fast paced, making this book a pretty fast and entertaining read. One thing I found interesting is how characters like Marv from the previous volume reappear, showing how the tales in the series intertwine. Overall, I am liking this series and will keep on reading it. I may have to reread it in fact. ( )
  bloodravenlib | Aug 17, 2020 |
“Sin City: A Dame to Kill for” is better than its predecessor in every way accept the main protagonist. Though Dwight is good, Marv still outshines him.

Frank Miller has pushed the style and art even further in our second visit to Sin City. Though the art is still black and white, he does an amazing amount with it. The framing is excellent, the tone and mood are thick enough to cut. Though there are not many shapes or figures in the negative space, everything is brought to an emotional high within the black and white world. These are moments and drawings in this twisted case of love and brutality that could be part of a minimalist exhibit.

The story is better than expected. Both this and the previous volume have been about what men will do for love in a city so full of cheap love the real stuff is hard to find. But here the twists and turns are interesting and dynamic, backed with an even better expression of style. This graphic novel is a quintessentially demented noir love story. Every page is engaging and every plot point interesting.

The one aspect that has not improved is the main character, Dwight. That is not to say he's a bad character, in fact he is a very memorable. Watching him struggling with his own “beast” and how the city affects him is empowering and shattering. However his humanity is not quite so bare-bones and on-display as Marv's. In the first Sin City, Marv was tortured, as well but the sympathy you felt for him was off-set his brutality perfectly. Here you feel more righteousness for Dwight’s plight than broken by his personal conflict, making his journey a little less impactful. It is still good but Marv steals the show.

If you liked the original Sin City or noir or detective stories you will likely love this graphic novel. If you like good visual story telling you'll be hard pressed to find anything better. Sin City will reel you in to its shady streets. ( )
  LSPopovich | Apr 8, 2020 |
I thought it would be fun in anticipation for the new Sin City movie A Dame to kill for to read the comic that the movie is based upon. I loved the first movie (Actually bought it today and will try to re-watch it again soon) and I hope that the sequel will be just as good.

Anyway the story in Sin City: A Dame to kill for is quite simple: Dwight is working as a photographer taking pictures of men having affairs with women. He gets contacted after a job by his old flame Ava Lord and she is the dame with a capital D for him. She is miserable in her marriage and scared and, of course, he will do anything to help her. And of course, he enlists Marv to help him. And that’s as much I will give away of the plot.

I found the story very engrossing. It’s gritty, dark, noir and very much brutal to read and if you like that kind of graphic novels then you will love this one.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
[book: A Dame To Kill For] is where [author: Frank Miller]'s Sin City begins to show its true brilliance. It is here that the focus shifts to the other characters and we begin to see the myriad of ways that Sin City connects the various threads. There are call-backs to the first comic, things seen in the background now the main plot, Marv going about his business elsewhere. Everything is happening at once, nearly, and I shudder to think just what a time-line for all of these volumes might look like...

[book: A Dame to Kill For] is a natural noir film. Here we have Dwight, now living relatively clean, pulled back into his old life and ways by nothing but a woman. Here we have Ava, his ex-lover, trapped in a marriage with a man who hurts her - or does he? What is truly going on? Dwight finds himself in over his head, giving in to the beast within. Ava might be a dame to kill for, but is she a dame to die for? Or is she after something more than anyone suspects?

Ava is a beautiful femme fetale, and Dwight one of my favorite Sin City characters. Here we're introduced more fully to the women of Old Town and their own style of justice. Here we meet deadly little Miho, and get a better look at Marv and his relationship of sorts with Nancy. It's a beautiful, deadly, twisted universe that only expands with each volume. It's good to be back in it, you just can't stay too long. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
It's another hot night, dry and windless
The graphic novel

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,240,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible