Sin City: A Dame to Kill For by Frank Miller

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

by Frank Miller

[book: A Dame To Kill For] is where [author: Frank Miller]'s Sin City begins to show its true brilliance. It is here that the focus shifts to the other characters and we begin to see the myriad of ways that Sin City connects the various threads. There are call-backs to the first comic, things seen in the background now the main plot, Marv going about his business elsewhere. Everything is happening at once, nearly, and I shudder to think just what a time-line for all of these volumes might look like...

[book: A Dame to Kill For] is a natural noir film. Here we have Dwight, now living relatively clean, pulled back into his old life and ways by nothing but a woman. Here we have Ava, his ex-lover, trapped in a marriage with a man who hurts her - or does he? What is truly going on? Dwight finds himself in over his head, giving in to the beast within. Ava might be a dame to kill for, but is she a dame to die for? Or is she after something more than anyone suspects?

Ava is a beautiful femme fetale, and Dwight one of my favorite Sin City characters. Here we're introduced more fully to the women of Old Town and their own style of justice. Here we meet deadly little Miho, and get a better look at Marv and his relationship of sorts with Nancy. It's a beautiful, deadly, twisted universe that only expands with each volume. It's good to be back in it, you just can't stay too long. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I thought it would be fun in anticipation for the new Sin City movie A Dame to kill for to read the comic that the movie is based upon. I loved the first movie (Actually bought it today and will try to re-watch it again soon) and I hope that the sequel will be just as good.

Anyway the story in Sin City: A Dame to kill for is quite simple: Dwight is working as a photographer taking pictures of men having affairs with women. He gets contacted after a job by his old flame Ava Lord and she is the dame with a capital D for him. She is miserable in her marriage and scared and, of course, he will do anything to help her. And of course, he enlists Marv to help him. And that’s as much I will give away of the plot.

I found the story very engrossing. It’s gritty, dark, noir and very much brutal to read and if you like that kind of graphic novels then you will love this one.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Much much better than the movie! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jun 22, 2017 |
This one plays much closer to the movie version. Entertainingly written with a top notch set of nouveau artistry ( )
  kallai7 | Mar 23, 2017 |
The last of the Sin City books to be read (damn library thieves) but possibly the best of the lot. Frank Miller's creation is never more vivid nor the characters so moving as in this volume. The best thing I can say is that while the ending is not truly surprising I was so engrossed in the story that it took me by surprise - and left me sorry that it was over. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
It's another hot night, dry and windless
The graphic novel

Photographer Dwight McCarthy tries to lead a clean life but finds his efforts tested when a girl from his past arrives, proclaiming her undying love for Dwight and hiding a dark secret. Contains adult content.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,841,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible