Murder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie

Murder in Mesopotamia (1936)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (13)

Come, Tell Me How You Live by Agatha Christie (VivienneR)
    VivienneR: The memoir may have been the inspiration for the mystery.

English (28)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (34)
An interesting whodunit. Although the final denouement is a little unbelievable, it's still an entertaining read. ( )
  cazfrancis | Nov 8, 2015 |
Pages 171-3 of "Where God Was Born," by Bruce Feiler lead me to this book. He wrote about the 1928 trip of Agatha Christie to Iraq. There she visited the archaeology dig of Sir C.L. Woolley. At the site Ms. Christie met her 2nd husband as well as Katherine, the wife of C.L. Woolley. The two women didn't hit it off and after the marriage Ms. Christie was banned from the site by Katherine who said, "There is room for only one woman at Ur." Agatha Christie got her revenge when she wrote this murder mystery and modeled the victim after Katherine Woolley. It's always fun when one book leads to another. ( )
  MrDickie | Aug 26, 2015 |
As good a Poirot-mystery as ever. I found a cast of over 10 characters in a 300 page book a little overwhelming however. The setting in early 20th century Mesopotamia was nicely done. I almost discovered the murderer this time! :-) ( )
  bbbart | May 30, 2015 |
This was the first Agatha Christie novel I have had the pleasure to read, and it was a genuine pleasure. I admired Christie's ability to spin a fascinating and perfectly complex mystery that keeps her readers guessing all the way to the final reveal.

I think I flip-flopped between about four different characters before I gave up trying to figure out who did it and just went along for the ride. And it was a pretty great ride. I'm not normally a reader of mystery of novels since I tend to find the characters rather unrealistic and their motivations to be questionable at best. While these characters still weren't totally fleshed out (I realize that they sometimes don't have to be in mystery novels) I could understand their motivations. Both Nurse Leatheran and Hercule Poirot, who are the main detectives for this story, were able to identify a viable reason for most of the suspects to want to murder this woman. I have watched the news lately and know that people would kill for far less.

On top of all of this, all I could think of was the Doctor Who episode when they solve a murder with Agatha Christie.

I couldn't help but giggle when the big reveal at the end of the book felt exactly like the scene in this episode when Agatha Christie explains who the murder is, their motivations, and how they figured it out. This episode actually got me to finally pick up one of her books. And who says the TV ruins books? Well...at least BBC doesn't.

Anyway, I believe that I have found a new "guilty pleasure" in the great mysteries written by the Queen of Mystery herself. Maybe I will be able to guess the end of one them, but some part of me doubts that, and oddly enough, I'm okay with that. ( )
  kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |
Very good book. I have seen this movie long time ago but I didn't remember who was murderer. ( )
  Sonkku | Dec 20, 2013 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahmavaara, EeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brückenberg, HansTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crespo, Angel SolerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to my many archaeological friends in Iraq and Syria
The events chronicled in this narrative took place some four years ago. (Foreword by Giles Reilly, M.D.)
In the hall of the Tigris Palace Hotel in Baghdad a hospital nurse was finishing a letter. (Chapter I, Foreword)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 157912691X, Hardcover)

When nurse Amy Leatheran agrees to look after American archaeologist Dr Leidner’s wife Louise at a dig near Hassanieh she finds herself taking on more than just nursing duties – she also has to help solve murders. Fortunately for Amy, Hercule Poirot is visiting the excavation site but will the great detective be in time to prevent a multiple murderer from striking again?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:45 -0400)

It was clear to Amy Leatheran that something sinister was going on at the Hassanieh dig; something associated with the presence of 'Lovely Louise', wife of celebrated archaeologist, Dr Leidner. In a few days' time Hercule Poirot was due to drop in at the excavation site. But with Louise suffering from terrifying hallucinations, and tension within the group becoming almost unbearable, Poirot might just be too late.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,957,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible