A Year in Provence (1990)

by Peter Mayle

Series: Provence (1)

They had been there often as tourists. They had cherished the dream of someday living all year under the Provencal sun. And suddenly it happened. Here is the month-by month account of the charms and frustrations that Peter Mayle and his wife -- and their two large dogs -- experience their first year in the remote country of the Luberon restoring a two-centuries-old stone farmhouse that they bought on sight. From coping in January with the first mistral, which comes howling down from the Rhone Valley and wreaks havoc with the pipes, to dealing as the months go by with the disarming promises and procrastination of the local masons and plumbers, Peter Mayle delights us with his strategies for survival. He relishes the growing camaraderie with his country neighbors -- despite the rich, soupy, often impenetrable patois that threatens to separate them. He makes friends with boar hunters and truffle hunters, a man who eats foxes, and another who bites dentists; he discovers the secrets of handicapping racing goats and of disarming vipers. And he comes to dread the onslaught of tourists who disrupt his tranquillity. In this often hilarious, seductive book Peter Mayle manages to transport us info all the earthy pleasures of Provencal life and lets us live vicariously in a tempo governed by seasons, not by days. George Lang, who was smitten suggests: "Get a glass of marc, lean back in your most comfortable chair, and spend a delicious year in Provence."… (more)
    A Summer in Gascony: Discovering the Other South of France by Martin Calder (mike_frank)
    French Fried: One Man's Move to France with Too Many Animals and an Identity Thief by Chris Dolley (codehooligans)
    codehooligans: Similar concepts. Brits move to France. Story are similar for a while. Discovering (and using) the new language. Learning to communicate. Both set in mid-1990s. French Fried has some later twists
    Next Time Round in Provence: The Vaucluse and the Bouches-Du-Rhone (KayCliff)
    Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnik (carlym)

English (97)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (104)
A truly delicious feast of a book, Peter Mayle makes you want to run away to Provence right this minute. Simple, clean and vivid writing, coupled with a great heart. This guy has a wry, open-minded and elegant sense of humour along with a great eye for brush0stroke nuances that sketch an entire character for you deftly. A must-read for travel and food buffs. ( )
  SwatiRavi | Jun 27, 2022 |
I listened to this book to prepare for a trip to Southern France. The audiobook is read by the author and he is wonderful. I had read it years before when it was very popular, but I had forgotten how funny it is. ( )
  SGKowalski | Mar 30, 2022 |
One of those beautiful, descriptive memoirs that make me want to sell everything I own for a house in France (or Italy) and a life of tranquility and luxurious food. Alas, selling everything I own would not be enough to fund my dream life-style and I don't like escargot.

But for 12 chapters, I got to live Peter Mayle's' life with him and that was good too. ( )
  murderbydeath | Jan 29, 2022 |
Author and family move into an old remote farmhouse in Provence; day-to-day experiences.
  BLTSbraille | Oct 25, 2021 |
Eh...too many French words. ( )
  Jinjer | Jul 19, 2021 |

Hazenberg, AnneliesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hogarth, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parcerisas, FrancescTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenthal, JeanTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jennie, with love and thanks
The year began with lunch.
This is the book; do not combine with the TV mini-series film.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140296034, 0141037253

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,140,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible