A Year in Provence (1990)

by Peter Mayle

Series: Provence (1)

They had been there often as tourists. They had cherished the dream of someday living all year under the Provencal sun. And suddenly it happened. Here is the month-by month account of the charms and frustrations that Peter Mayle and his wife -- and their two large dogs -- experience their first year in the remote country of the Luberon restoring a two-centuries-old stone farmhouse that they bought on sight. From coping in January with the first mistral, which comes howling down from the Rhone Valley and wreaks havoc with the pipes, to dealing as the months go by with the disarming promises and procrastination of the local masons and plumbers, Peter Mayle delights us with his strategies for survival. He relishes the growing camaraderie with his country neighbors -- despite the rich, soupy, often impenetrable patois that threatens to separate them. He makes friends with boar hunters and truffle hunters, a man who eats foxes, and another who bites dentists; he discovers the secrets of handicapping racing goats and of disarming vipers. And he comes to dread the onslaught of tourists who disrupt his tranquillity. In this often hilarious, seductive book Peter Mayle manages to transport us info all the earthy pleasures of Provencal life and lets us live vicariously in a tempo governed by seasons, not by days. George Lang, who was smitten suggests: "Get a glass of marc, lean back in your most comfortable chair, and spend a delicious year in Provence."… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, bowlees, mring42, Fashion, obz_5, Jinjer, achmorrison, pedrodeg
    A Summer in Gascony: Discovering the Other South of France by Martin Calder (mike_frank)
    French Fried: One Man's Move to France with Too Many Animals and an Identity Thief by Chris Dolley (codehooligans)
    codehooligans: Similar concepts. Brits move to France. Story are similar for a while. Discovering (and using) the new language. Learning to communicate. Both set in mid-1990s. French Fried has some later twists
    Next Time Round in Provence: The Vaucluse and the Bouches-Du-Rhone (KayCliff)
    Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnik (carlym)

English (94)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (101)
Eh...too many French words. ( )
  Jinjer | Jul 19, 2021 |
Even better in audio. A classic. ( )
  MuggleBorn930 | Jul 11, 2021 |
A fun and entertaining adventure through renovation, food and drink. Best just before a great dinner and accompanied by good wine. ( )
  markburris | Jul 11, 2021 |
This is an intimate look at life in Provence, told by an Englishman recently moved into his own ramshackle house in paradise. The format starts in January and goes month to month, depicting weather, events, and the curious eccentrics, both neighbors and visitors. It's a quick, breezy read, and not a propaganda piece for sure--he talks about the good, the ugly, but a love for the place carries through everything.

I'm amazed at the lasting fame of this book. Maybe it had such an impact because there was never a travel book quite like this before, I don't know, but I was left with a vague sense of newly-come foreigner who enjoyed sharing juicy gossip on the local peasants. I was rather bothered by how his wife is like a shadow, rarely mentioned, never given a name. It's an interesting book for the local insights, but I would have found it more enjoyable as fiction than nonfiction. ( )
  ladycato | Jan 30, 2021 |
I have been aware of this book since it came out decades ago but never read it until now. Turns out it was a perfect end of year read. With the world feeling like it was falling apart, it was just the cozy book I craved to remind me of happier days. I'd recommend to anyone as a treat during these long winter days in this year of so much unhappiness. ( )
  alanna1122 | Jan 11, 2021 |

Hazenberg, AnneliesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hogarth, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parcerisas, FrancescTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenthal, JeanTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jennie, with love and thanks
The year began with lunch.
This is the book; do not combine with the TV mini-series film.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140296034, 0141037253

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,290,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible