Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morley

Parnassus on Wheels (1917)

by Christopher Morley (Author)

Series: Roger Mifflin (1)

84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: If you are charmed by Parnassus, you will also be charmed by this non-fiction account of the friendship between a New York writer and the manager of a London bookshop, begun in the years just after the war and carried on for 20 - 30 years through letters.… (more)
    Off in Zora: A Modern-Day Tale of a Traveling Bookseller by Alan Armstrong (benjclark)
    benjclark: "Because Parnassus on Wheels was read aloud to him as a boy, Alan Armstrong always imagined himself as a Merchant Adventurer dealing in books...." - back blurb.

English (63)  Spanish (9)  Italian (2)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (77)
This is a fun and quick read. ( )
  EllsbethB | Dec 19, 2015 |
A short but delightful book. I don't know why I never heard of it until it showed up as an LT recommendation a couple of years ago. It would make a good filler book between reading weightier tomes. ( )
  SylviaC | Nov 24, 2015 |
What a cute, funny little love story. I loved Helen and Roger and I'm very excited to find out that this is a sort of prequel and I get to read more about them. ( )

Morley, ChristopherAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorsline, DonaldIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sebastián Cárdenas, JuanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sebastián Cárdenas, JuanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To H. B. F. and H. F. M.
"Trusty, dusky, vivid, true"
I wonder if there isn't a lot of bunkum in higher education?
"Lord!" he said, "when you sell a man a book you don't sell him just twelve ounces of paper and ink and glue—you sell him a whole new life. Love and friendship and humour and ships at sea by night—there's all heaven and earth in a book, a real book I mean. Jimmy! If I were the baker or the butcher or the broom huckster, people would run to the gate when I came by—just waiting for my stuff. And here I go loaded with everlasting salvation—yes, ma'am, salvation for their little, stunted minds—and it's hard to make 'em see it."

This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally important and have elected to bring the book back into print as part of our continuing commitment to the preservation of printed works worldwide.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:43 -0400)

Parnassus on Wheels is a novel by Christopher Morley, published in 1917. The Parnassus of the title refers to the mountain that was the home of the Muses in Greek mythology. In the story, Roger Mifflin sells his traveling bookshop to Helen McGill, who tires of looking after Andrew, her ailing brother. Christopher Morley later continued the story of Roger Mifflin in his 1919 novel The Haunted Bookshop.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,140,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible