Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morley

Parnassus on Wheels (1917)

by Christopher Morley

Series: Roger Mifflin (1)

Recently added byMandy.Rasmussen, private library, OHBibliophile, kathrynirena, mcnabbp, laprop1990, MLRALibrary, tmeadow, SC1216, devz
Legacy LibrariesRoger Mifflin
    84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: If you are charmed by Parnassus, you will also be charmed by this non-fiction account of the friendship between a New York writer and the manager of a London bookshop, begun in the years just after the war and carried on for 20 - 30 years through letters.… (more)
    Off in Zora: A Modern-Day Tale of a Traveling Bookseller by Alan Armstrong (benjclark)
    benjclark: "Because Parnassus on Wheels was read aloud to him as a boy, Alan Armstrong always imagined himself as a Merchant Adventurer dealing in books...." - back blurb.

English (78)  Spanish (9)  Italian (2)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (92)
A quick read that is everything I love in a book. It is a celebration of literature and an escape from everyday drudgery. Isn't that what it's all about? ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
I read this as part of 2015 Morley Walk put on by Melville House and Book Riot. In truth, I only "read" two chapters of the book myself. The rest of the chapters were read aloud by other people in the group as we walked through different Brooklyn neighborhoods. I can't say whether it was the story itself that made the walk so enjoyable, but I'll have fond memories of this book for quite some time.
  thishannah | Jul 17, 2018 |
After reading this book, I would really like to find my own Parnassus On Wheels to hitch up and ride across the countryside and "preach to chance comers about the gospel of good books." Sign me up for that. This novella was charming because of its bookishness. A man peddles books to ordinary folk and teaches them that there's something for everyone and that books can give us beautiful life experiences in the comfort of our own home. This book is a testament that these simple objects made of paper and ink have such unfathomable power to stir something up inside of us and change us. ( )
  Ltwente | Mar 19, 2018 |
Another Melville House bookstore purchase. I might not have bought this one, but Penny was there and she insisted that it was great. And it is! The story of a woman who spent years cooking and cleaning and keeping a farm running while her brother helps out less and less, she impulsively buys a bookstore on wheels, at first just to keep her brother from seeing and buying it, but it doesn't take long before she falls in love with it.

A charming story about books, book selling, and the people who love books. It's hard to imagine many book lovers not finding something to love in this little volume. You know, unless they believe that all women should be bossed by their selfish brothers. But I don't think that's a thing. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 1, 2017 |
I wish that I could remember how I became aware of this wonderful novella because I really must thank that person. Loved, loved, loved this book! ( )
  MNTreehugger | Oct 20, 2017 |

Gorsline, Douglas W.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sebastián Cárdenas, JuanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sebastián Cárdenas, JuanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To H. B. F. and H. F. M.
"Trusty, dusky, vivid, true"
I wonder if there isn't a lot of bunkum in higher education?
"Lord!" he said, "when you sell a man a book you don't sell him just twelve ounces of paper and ink and glue—you sell him a whole new life. Love and friendship and humour and ships at sea by night—there's all heaven and earth in a book, a real book I mean. Jimmy! If I were the baker or the butcher or the broom huckster, people would run to the gate when I came by—just waiting for my stuff. And here I go loaded with everlasting salvation—yes, ma'am, salvation for their little, stunted minds—and it's hard to make 'em see it."

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally important and have elected to bring the book back into print as part of our continuing commitment to the preservation of printed works worldwide.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:43 -0400)

Prepare to enter a unique world full of enchantment, where time has come to a halt. It?s the 1920s, and the United States is still replete with rural and idyllic landscapes where horse-drawn carriages intermingle with new automobiles. Roger Mifflin, a bookseller with a bookshop on wheels hopes to return to Brooklyn to write his memoirs, while the elderly Helen McGill, sick of her life?s monotony, decides it?s time to set out on an adventure.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,941,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible