Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morley

Parnassus on Wheels (1917)

by Christopher Morley

Series: Roger Mifflin (1)

84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: If you are charmed by Parnassus, you will also be charmed by this non-fiction account of the friendship between a New York writer and the manager of a London bookshop, begun in the years just after the war and carried on for 20 - 30 years through letters.… (more)
    Off in Zora: A Modern-Day Tale of a Traveling Bookseller by Alan Armstrong (benjclark)
    benjclark: "Because Parnassus on Wheels was read aloud to him as a boy, Alan Armstrong always imagined himself as a Merchant Adventurer dealing in books...." - back blurb.

English (69)  Spanish (9)  Italian (2)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  All (83)
Parnassus on Wheels is exactly the book for you if you've ever dreamed of running away from home, writing a book or if you are passionate about the importance of books.

Ms. McGill is an over-worked underappreciated homemaker who is taking care of her brother. Her brother Andrew has recently been discovered as a Writer of some talent so keeps leaving their farm leading to Ms. McGills difficult position trying to do her job and her brother, Andrew. Along comes the Parnassus book van, whose owner is eagerly waiting to sell the van so he could go back home to Brooklyn and write his novel.

I loved the references to other books but more importantly I love the passion Morley has for his story. I'm looking forward to reading The Haunted Bookshop also. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 3, 2017 |
This short charming novel by Christopher Morley was the perfect book for me right now as I lay on the couch suffering through the flu. Originally published in 1917, the “Parnassus” referred to in the title is a travelling bookstore-caravan not the mountain referred to in Greek Mythology as the home of the muses. Although the literary muses are mentioned often and the love of books helped to shape the story.

Told in a simple straight forward style we learn of Helen McGill, a 39 year old spinster who, along with her brother Andrew, runs a farm. Andrew has a literary bent and has written a few books which to Helen’s surprise became best sellers. This notoriety has led Andrew to be away from the farm often, leaving the day-to-day operations in her hands. Therefore when Roger Mifflin arrives in the Parnassus on Wheels and offers to sell out to her, she jumps at the chance. Seeing this as her turn for adventure, she packs up and leaves. Of course, when Andrew comes home to find himself deserted he is not best pleased. And what about Mr. Mifflin, well, he decides that perhaps he can’t quite give up his travelling life style and selling of books.

Overall a delightful tale built upon books. The story unfolds with plenty of heart and humor making Parnassus on Wheels an engaging way to spend an afternoon. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jan 29, 2017 |
What an unexpected delight this turned out to be. Might just be my favorite book about books. (After The Book Thief of course.) ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Liked this one a lot, as I remember. It was actually kind of funny. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Delightful! Such a cute, sweet story that is full of surprises beginning to end. It is littered with perfect quotes and insights for the book lover as well. ( )
  jonesfamily08 | Jun 1, 2016 |

Gorsline, Douglas W.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sebastián Cárdenas, JuanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sebastián Cárdenas, JuanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To H. B. F. and H. F. M.
"Trusty, dusky, vivid, true"
I wonder if there isn't a lot of bunkum in higher education?
"Lord!" he said, "when you sell a man a book you don't sell him just twelve ounces of paper and ink and glue—you sell him a whole new life. Love and friendship and humour and ships at sea by night—there's all heaven and earth in a book, a real book I mean. Jimmy! If I were the baker or the butcher or the broom huckster, people would run to the gate when I came by—just waiting for my stuff. And here I go loaded with everlasting salvation—yes, ma'am, salvation for their little, stunted minds—and it's hard to make 'em see it."

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally important and have elected to bring the book back into print as part of our continuing commitment to the preservation of printed works worldwide.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:43 -0400)

Parnassus on Wheels is a novel by Christopher Morley, published in 1917. The Parnassus of the title refers to the mountain that was the home of the Muses in Greek mythology. In the story, Roger Mifflin sells his traveling bookshop to Helen McGill, who tires of looking after Andrew, her ailing brother. Christopher Morley later continued the story of Roger Mifflin in his 1919 novel The Haunted Bookshop.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,320,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible