Publish and Be Murdered (1998)

by Ruth Dudley Edwards

Series: Robert Amiss (8)

As editor of a right wing magazine, Amiss is horrified when his deputy editor is found drowned in a bowl of punch. After another death the police have no shortage of possible motives for the murders.

murders on staff of eccentric political paper in England
  ritaer | Jul 7, 2021 |
Tedious. What kind of murder mystery doesn't kill anyone until more than a third of the way in? To make matters worse, the first third is filled solely with smug political posturing. Apparently Ms. Edwards is a renowned satirist - I'm glad for those who have the patience to wade through this boring drivel, but then, I'm American... ( )
  tulikangaroo | May 30, 2012 |

Belongs to Series

To Paul, friend and pedant, and, of course, as usual, to John.
"Bertie Ormerod says you're a tactful sort of fellow."
Ricketts continued his task of laboriously counting the contents of a carton of pencils.... "I keep a very tight eye indeed on my ladies' and gentlemen's requisites. There's paper and there's pencils and then there's steel pens -- though that's not a difficulty since I'm the only one who uses them now. We had a bit of a to-do a long time back about biros. The last editor didn't hold with them. Said it was an affront to decency to have them in the building. Fountain pens or steel pens only, he decreed. Or pencils, of course. But then, sir, you know how it is. It's called progress, I suppose. We had to give in in the end, just like with those machines the typewriting ladies use."

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,987,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible