Danny the Champion of the World (1975)

by Roald Dahl

A young English boy describes his relationship with his father and the special adventure they share together.

English (75)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (77)
Eight year-old Danny and his widower father have lived in a caravan behind their auto repair and filling station for Danny's whole life. His father is kind and attentive, always happy to teach Danny a new skill, and Danny loves being with his dad. But their village has a wealthy man who demeans Danny and his father, so Dad needs revenge. He and Danny make a plan to ruin the annual pheasant shoot, taking the rich man's birds for themselves and humiliating him in the process.
I expected a whimsical Dahl story, but this isn't like other Dahls. There's a villain who needs to be taught a lesson, but otherwise, this is the most realistic story I've read from Dahl. Danny and his father have a good relationship, though Dad doesn't have the best judgement, such as holding five year-old Danny out of school until he's seven. But the main plot point of this book, which is longer than the average Dahl, is that of poaching pheasants. Danny's dad adores poaching and once the topic is introduced, he explains how it's done and how he does it, and then Danny gets involved, SPOILER* by suggesting that they drug the flock of pheasants. His dad thinks it's a great idea. I'll have to put this plot down to a different time and place, because the idea of getting even with a human by wiping out a flock of a hundred birds is bizarre. I would have given this a lower rating if not for the good relationship of Danny and his dad. Didn't hate it, but certainly not my favorite. ( )
  mstrust | Jan 24, 2022 |
I just reread this book because I remember checking it out over and over as an elementary school student (I went through a big Dahl phase. I enjoyed the writing and the relationship between Danny and his dad- though I didn't love the topic (poaching pheasants). Glad to have reread it and I am thinking back in the day I must have loved the way Danny and his dad are with each other. :) ( )
  Robinsonstef | Jan 21, 2022 |
I am really conflicted about this book. On the one hand it is fun, and funny and shows a sweet parent- child relationship. However, it spends quite a bit of time with Danny and his dad talking about and actually doing poaching. This is not seen as a bad thing and there are no negative consequences for their actions. So I am left uncertain how to feel about the story or whether I should let my kids read it or not. ( )
  ChelseaVK | Dec 10, 2021 |
I'm probably not the intended audience. I've had this book since I was a kid and finally decided to read it! A little disappointing, I thought, and I can't imagine the poaching angle appealing to modern children, but who knows. ( )
  gtross | Dec 1, 2021 |
Rather dated, but fun story of a boy and his dad - if you can get past the word "poaching". ( )
  bookwyrmm | May 10, 2021 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freezer, HarriëtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

This book is for the whole family

Pat

Tessa

Theo

Ophelia

Lucy
When I was four months old, my mother died suddenly and my father was left to look after me all by himself.

Life couldn't be better for Danny - a gypsy caravan for a home, a garage where he could work on cars all day, and a best friend who never ran out of surprises and inventions: his father. But Dad has one surprise that catches Danny completely off-guard, a secret passion that he's hidden for years. Now the secret's out and Danny's off on an adventure that will make him a legend in his own time.
Not a fantasy,

but this is still one of Dahl's

most fantastic works.

(CathWhitney)

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141805943, 0141322675, 0141807857, 0141346434

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,257,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible