Thieving Fear by Ramsey Campbell

Thieving Fear (2008)

by Ramsey Campbell

Slooooooooow, slow, slow and plodding. This is the first book I've read by Ramsey Campbell, although I have a couple of others TBR on my shelves. But I was so disappointed with this book. The premise is great but I hated the characters. They are absolutley gormless and the build up to the good stuff took until the last couple of chapters. I almost gave up but I'm glad I didn't as I caught a fleeting glimpse of the disturbing imaginings that Campbell is cleary capable of.

This is the tale of four cousins who go camping and disturb some terrible evil from the past. Years later it comes back to haunt them when one of the cousins decides to write a book about people camping who disturb some magic thing thus echoing their experience. It could have been so much more though. The cousins, despite seeming close snipe at each other and in turn their work colleagues snipe at them. Even peripheral characters are so annoying that it makes them almost unbelieveable. They are nosy, nasty, bullies giving sidelong glances and asking questions that are way too personal for first meetings. At the end as the evil Pendemon's house is laid bare room by eerie room is when the book finally comes alive and a book filled with this kind of writing would have thrilled me, but it took so long to get there that I'd have to say read it with the lights on....to keep you awake. ( )
1 vote bibliobeck | Dec 17, 2010 |
For Jeannie and Tony without a grain of gluten
'Good night', Ellen called to Hugh, 'brilliant teacher'.

Charlotte and her cousins have all made their way in life. She works for a publisher, Ellen cares for the elderly, Hugh works in a supermarket while his brother Rory is an artist. Then more than their jobs start to go wrong as something reaches out of the past for them. What has it to do with the summer night they spent on Thurstaston Common?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,304,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible