Portobello (2008)

by Ruth Rendell

Walking to the shops one day in London's Notting Hill, fifty-year-old Eugene Wren discovers an envelope on the street bulging with cash. A man plagued by a shameful addiction, Wren hatches a plan to find the money's rightful owner. Instead of going to the police, or taking the cash for himself, he prints a notice and posts it around Portobello Road. This ill-conceived act creates a chain of events that links Wren to other Londoners--people afflicted with their own obsessions and despairs. As these volatile characters come into Wren's life--and the life of his trusting fiancée--the consequences will change them all.… (more)

English (38)  Dutch (4)  All languages (42)
This book differs from the other Rendell books I read. The novel studies several characters whose lives become intertwined because they live on or near or visit Portobello Road. One character is a middle-aged man addicted to a candy; his fiancée is a doctor who becomes a personal physician to a man we meet because he becomes injured on the Portobello Road. A young thief who loves a girl he assaulted and whose relative belongs to a cult-like church also appears. The action is slow. The flawed characters often express themselves in peculiar manners. While it is not my favorite Rendell book, I didn't hate it. I listened to the audiobook read by Tim Curry. ( )
  thornton37814 | Apr 15, 2021 |
This audiobook was difficult to get through, because it was so bland and boring. The only thing that kept me coming back at all was because Tim Curry (THE Tim Curry) is the narrator of this novel in audiobook form. It wasn’t really a mystery, just a view into some English people’s lives that lived off the Portobello road, in Notting Hill.
I didn’t think this novel was “wonderfully complex tour de force”, nor did I think it “featuring a dazzling depiction of one of London's most intriguing neighborhoods—and the dangers beneath its newly posh veneer”, like my library’s description sells it as.
Curry’s plummy tones kept me coming back to this novel, and a vague hope for an HEA, even though I couldn’t be bothered to care about a single character. (Seriously, a couple of his impressions were hilarious!). But that’s about it.
3 stars, and not really recommended to anyone, unless you need help sleeping at night. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
This was an OK read but a little contrived and scattered. Eugene's "addiction" was pretty ridiculous. There are certainly better books out there. ( )
  songbird72 | Feb 25, 2018 |
strange mystery many dysfunctional people set in London's Rd — eating sweet addiction

On a shopping trip, Eugene Wren came across an envelope containing money. Rather than report the matter to the police, he wrote a note and stuck it up on lamppost near his house: found in Chepstow Villas, a sum of money between 80 and 160 pounds. Anyone who has lost such a sum should apply to the phone number below.
  christinejoseph | Jul 12, 2017 |
I enjoyed this examination of obsession in many forms and how the fixation of each character dovetailed with the others. The setting is district of Portobello and its varied residents. I loved the tongue-in-cheek humour. In the new-found dignity of Portobello elite, the pub is to be renamed because no one knows who The Earl of Lonsdale was. The favoured new name is The Slug and Lettuce. This story with its widely diverse characters in an iconic neighbourhood is possibly my favourite Rendell. ( )
1 vote VivienneR | Jul 9, 2015 |
sfeervol met suspenseAlweer een geweldig boek van Ruth Rendell, naast een prachtig beeld van de Londense wijk Portobello heeft ze een geweldig portret geschreven van een aantal mensen wier levens verstrikt raken.Het is nauwelijks een misdaadroman, al komen er wel moorden in voor. Het zijn vooral prachtige beschrijving van eenzame, obsessieve mensen in het moderne Londen. Bovendien weet ze weer alle touwtje op een geweldige manier aan elkaar te knopen zodat je wil blijven doorlezen.
added by Petry | editAquabrowser

Ruth Rendellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chee, LiaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kauck, Jeffcover gate photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morando, Fredericocover background photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moscowitz, OrliExecutive producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Musselman, DanExecutive producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stark, JanetProducer & directorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Mirabilia (164)
For Doreen and Lee Massey with love
It is called the Portobello Road because a very long time ago a sea captain called Robert Jenkins stood in front of a committee of the House of Commons and held up his amputated ear.
Information from the Estonian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ruth Rendell's book Portobello was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,337,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible