The Sinner by Petra Hammesfahr

The Sinner (1999)

by Petra Hammesfahr

"The basis for the highly anticipated limited series on USA starring Jessica Biel, The Sinner is an internationally bestselling psychological thriller. On a sunny summer afternoon by the lake, Cora Bender stabs a man to death. Why? What would cause this quiet, kind young mother to stab a complete stranger in the throat over and over again, in full view of her family and friends? For the local police, it's an open-and-shut case. Cora quickly confesses and there's no shortage of witnesses, but those questions remain unanswered. Haunted by the case, the police commissioner refuses to close the file and begins his own maverick investigation. So begins the slow unraveling of Cora's past, a harrowing descent into a woman's private hell. A dark, spellbinding novel, where the truth is to be questioned at every turn, The Sinner has been a bestseller around the world, and is poised to be a summer smash with the coming TV adaptation, already hailed as one of the most anticipated shows of the summer."--… (more)

English (11)  German (1)  All languages (12)
I watched the show first so I knew how it ended. There were quite a few things that were different but still good. It was a little tough to read since it was originally in German. Some of the names I wasn’t sure how to really pronounce. ( )
  vickimarie2002 | Feb 19, 2020 |
READ IN DUTCH

Cora has decided that this is the last day she's going to live. She has planned everything. She'll get an 'accident' while swimming. However, things turn out differently. She stabs a man to death. Why?

I found this to be a very interesting whydonit. The story was very interesting and although I had my own guesses as to why she killed him, which actually turned out to be quite accurate, I never felt a boring moment. I liked the writing as well. I would recommend it! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
Finally finished it after 8 months! ( )
  BingeReader87 | Nov 17, 2018 |
It had an awesome storyline however I felt at times it was very choppy and could be confusing as to who was talking or if it was a "flashback". Not sure if that has anything to do with that translation. I'd definitely look to reading to the next one and will be watching the tv mini-series! ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
Cora goes to the lakeside to enjoy the sun and water with her husband and young son. There she inexplicitly stabs a man to death. There are witnesses and Cora’s own confession but the police commissioner does his own investigation into Cora’s past, uncovering secrets even Cora has trouble remembering.

I, like many others, was pulled in by the trailer for the USA mini-series starring Jessica Biel. I figured the book had to be good to have been made into a TV series. But it really dragged for me and I can’t count the times that I thought of putting the book down for good. But something kept making me pick it up.

This is yet another unreliable narrator book. Sometimes Cora admits to the reader that she’s lying but sometimes she’s not even sure if she’s lying. So it’s a bit hard to follow what’s happening. Events are gone over again and again, each time a little bit differently. The book has its merits as the story is quite unique and I didn’t see the reveal coming. I’ve recorded the TV series and will probably watch it even though I now know what’s going to happen. Not sorry I read it but I really didn’t find it as gripping as described. ( )
  hubblegal | May 10, 2018 |

Petra Hammesfahrprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brownjohn, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weerdt-Schellekens, Henriëtte M. vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Op een warme dag begin juli besloot Cora Bender dat ze dood wilde.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,376,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible