Shame of Man by Piers Anthony

Shame of Man (1994)

by Piers Anthony

Not as good as the first one, but still very enjoyable. ( )
  Snukes | Jun 14, 2013 |
This book is sequel to Isle of Woman, which I did like a lot This one was good but not as good as the first. Shame of Man mostly revolved around the character Hue, or Hugh or other variations of his was used also. Revolving around one character made it different from the first book because the first had two main characters and it was more of a love story. This one was more about struggles of man versus evil or man vs. survival. There was more history and mythology involved in this also, which I found in parts were kinda of dry and hard for my thought process. I had a problem with trying to figure out in each chapter reincarnation, who was who because their names changed slightly each time to fit the area a time period. It also had characters from the first book in the series so I was trying to remember them as well and sometimes coming up blank. Then there was new character to which I would try to figure out if I had met them yet. So that made it a little frustrating. I still like the book and the thought of the way it is written but whether I will read the third one in the series, Hope of Earth, is up in the air. On one side I really liked Isle of Woman but on the other Shame of Man was only so so. Maybe it was just the fact that the story was man vs. evil and that there is always a balancing act between the two and not yay good won! I don’t know resembles life to much for me. Yet if it had been yay good wins I probably would have said predicable. (shakes head at self) ( )
  lavenderagate | Aug 19, 2011 |
The second of Anthony's "Geodyssey" series. Each of these novels traces a set of human characters -- not reincarnations, but reappearances of similar people -- through the corridors of history. In this one there are twenty episodes in which a man and a woman appear, starting out eight million years ago in Africa, and ending up in a future society where population is rigidly limited. These books aren't great art -- the characters sometimes seem more like puppets than like real people -- but they are great fun. History really lite, for those who like the long view. ( )
  annbury | Sep 23, 2010 |
The Great Rift of Africa is a fascinating region.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812550919, Mass Market Paperback)

A magnificent epic of danger, desire, triumph and tragedy, Piers' Anthony's Shame of Man is nothing less than the story of humanity itself. It is the story of two lovers reborn throughout history--Hugh, a dreamer and musician, and his beloved Ann, a beautiful dancer--as they struggle to preserve their family and their way of life during some of the most turbulent periods of our savage past--and our troubled future. Through their eyes we experience humanity's greatest achievements, and witness its greatest shame, the relentless exploitation of nature that now threatens our very survival.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:39 -0400)

A collection of chapters set in different historical periods, but featuring the same protagonists. Twenty chapters in all, beginning with prehistory and ending in the future. The characters and the action represent the evolution of mankind, the novel attempting to answer the question, what does it mean to be human?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,599,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible