Vegetable Love by Barbara Kafka

Vegetable Love

by Barbara Kafka

When we joined a CSA ("community supported agriculture"), I knew I'd be getting random vegetables every week that I might have no idea how to use. So I invested in this fabulous book. It was a smart move. I've yet to see a vegetable that isn't in this book. I LOVE Vegetable Love! ( )
1 vote lilysea | Jun 20, 2008 |
What I love, first and foremost, about Barbara Kafka’s book is that it fairly glows with the author’s enthusiasm. Kafka is a woman who knows how to cook, and more importantly, knows how to eat. Her uninhibited delight for her subject sneaks out in the little comments, observations, advice and hints that accompany each and every of the 750 recipes she includes in the book. (“This is a star dish,” she writes about the Asparagus with Morels above. “Do not serve it with anything else, not even rice or pasta.) As I paged through the book I had this vision of Kafka sitting at her kitchen table with her recipe box—which must be the size of a Volvo—going through her collection of carrot recipes thinking, “Oh I have to include this!” and “I can’t forget to add this!” and making growing stacks of recipe cards and clippings until they covered the entire table, the counter, and had begun to encroach on the lesser-traveled parts of the floor. . .read the full review
1 vote southernbooklady | Jun 20, 2007 |

Barbara Kafkaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cornish, ChristinaPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Styler, ChristopherContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

From artichokes through watercress, Kafka takes on all the vegetables that come to mind - and many that don't. The classics are all there, from green beans to spinach to carrots, but she looks at them with a pioneering eye. So, while you'll find your favorite recipe for stir-fried chicken and snow peas, you might also be compelled to use the same vegetable in sweet pea ice-cream. For those with an adventurous spirit, Kafka has combed the earth for rare and interesting vegetables, from chayotes (vine-growing gourds) to burdock (a root found primarily in northern Europe and Asia) to nettles (commonly recognized as pesky garden weeds). Her book is not geared solely towards vegetarians, vegans or health-food loyalists - though certainly all of them could find plenty of recipes within to suit their lifestyles. Rather, she encourages readers of all kinds to embrace vegetables as she has, finding a place for them in every dish, course and meal. With over 750 original recipes and a thorough guide to shopping, cleaning, preparing, and storing vegetables, this reference deserves a place in every home and restaurant kitchen across America.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,914,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible