HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Around the Year

by Tasha Tudor

Brief rhymes and drawings of activities popular in the nineteenth century portray events that occur in each month of the year.

A nostalgic picture book about the months and seasons, and suitable for young and old. ( )
  fuzzi | Dec 18, 2016 |
I have mixed feelings about this text. The information it got across was actually not bad for how old it is but the illustrations are definitely out of date. For example, the clothes they are wearing in the illustrations may make it difficult for students to relate to if considering peoples' outfits nowadays. Page 2 and 14 specifically show outfits/ situations that don't necessarily exist in this day and age.
Although, I don't think it was intentional, I actually enjoy the fact that every other page is colored.
Some of the language, such as, "swallows southward fly" may be a little confusing for readers. Some may be able to gather that a swallow is a bird, but for a majority of the targeted audience, I'm not too sure. Some thing goes for the line, "Summer's waning, fall is nigh" readers may not know what "waning" and "nigh" imply. This may lead to confusion or a teacher needing to explain.
I do enjoy the pattern in the language and that pages rhyme and flow well with one another. For example, "May brings us | armfuls of delight, |Bird-song, warm sun | and gardens delight".
It's an uplifting story! I believe that the big idea/ message of the story is to get out and explore and try new things. If a student doesn't know what a specific thing is that is stated in the text, explain it to him or her; encourage them to try it! As seasons change, many different things occur. From reading this book a reader can gather all of the many things that can happen around these times of year! ( )
  hfetty1 | Feb 22, 2016 |
“Around the year” is a wonderful book for children to read aloud. This book describes every months of the year. Each month shows and brings different celebration, family, friendship, and happiness to all people. It is also a good way for children to get to know what is going on around them within the year. It is benefits for all people to celebrate happy and fun holiday with friends and family.
  Tien.Nguyen | Oct 24, 2011 |
Beautiful drawings...nice for children. ( )
  njaw09 | Jun 6, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,785,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible