The Infinite Book: A Short Guide to the…

The Infinite Book: A Short Guide to the Boundless, Timeless and Endless (2005)

by John D. Barrow

Recently added byGaryLScott, antonzalesski, hailsus, kapccbooks, private library, m0nhawk, RisumX, jagy66, Etique, flextime

This book is a great book to start into the discussion of ontology. I enjoyed the early history of the thinkers behind infinite concepts. Barrow does a very good job of guiding the reader through the various facets of infinity (even though it can make your eyes cross at times). Once he gets into the nature of the universe and its properties, it becomes less a discussion about infinity and more a treatise on modern cosmological thought. And the last bits about infinitely long life spans and time travel felt a little forced. All in all, however, this was a neat book.

http://lifelongdewey.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/111-the-infinite-book-by-john-d-ba... ( )
  NielsenGW | May 14, 2012 |
Disappointingly lacks the usual meatiness of a Barrow book, and makes way too much respectful reference to religion. The only kind of writing about religion I can abide is illustrated by the essay contributed by Sam Harris to one of the huge compendia of writings at www.edge.org -- answers to "What is your dangerous idea?"
  fpagan | Sep 30, 2006 |
Loved this. Made my brain hurt at first but you soon get used to it. One of those books where you read something a couple of times and then you understand it. Not in a way that you can put into words, but you understand it with a different type of understanding. (I know what I mean!:))
  Kate_JJM | Mar 28, 2006 |
To Luca Ronconi for his boundless imagination
This is a book about the biggest subject of all. (Preface)
There is something about infinity and books.

A Short Guide to the Boundless, Timeless and Endless.

Everything you might want to know about infinity — in history, and all the way to today’s cutting-edge science.
Throughout history, the Infinite has been a dangerous idea. Men have lost their lives, their careers, or their freedom for talking about it. Where did the idea come from, and what is it telling us about the universe? Can there actually be infinities, or is infinity just a label for something that is never reached? Can you do an infinite number of things in a finite amount of time? Is the universe infinite? Will it exist forever?

All manner of paradoxes and fantasies characterize an infinite universe. If our universe is infinite, then an infinite number of exact copies of you are at this very moment reading an identical sentence on an identical planet somewhere else in the universe. So what is it like to live in a universe where nothing is original, where you can live forever, where anything that can be done, is done, over and over again?

These are some of the deep questions that the idea of the infinite pushes us to ask. The Infinite Book will explore these provocative questions and the strange answers that scientists, mathematicians, philosophers and theologians have come up with to deal with its threats to our sanity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:20 -0400)

"Everything you might want to know about infinity - in history and all the way to today's cutting edge science. Infinity is surely the strangest idea that humans have ever had. Where did it come from and what is it telling us about our Universe? Can there actually be infinities? Can you do an infinite number of things in a finite amount of time? Is the Unvierse infinite? Infinity is also the place where things happen that don't. What is it like to live in a Unvierse where nothing is original, where you can live forever, where anything that can be done, is done, over and over again? These are some of the deep questions that the idea of the infinite pushes us to ask. Throughout history, the infinite has been a dangerous concept. Many have lost their lives, their careers, or their freedom for talking about it. 'The infinite book' will take you on a tour of these dangerous questions and the strange answers that scientists, mathematicians, philosophers, and the theologians have come up with to deal with its threats to our sanity." -- back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,884,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible