Five on Kirrin Island Again (1947)

by Enid Blyton

Series: The Famous Five (6)

What can Uncle Quentin be up to - all alone - on Kirrin Island. He won't let anyone visit - not even George and the rest of the Famous Five. But Quentin isn't really all alone on the island - somebody is watching his every move!

I adored the Famous Five books as a kid. I don't remember the specifics of this one in particular, but I loved them all dearly. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
O meu irmão, que enveredara pela idade do armário, namorava uma moça que decidiu fazer de mim um juvenil. No Natal de 76 recebi deles uma prenda decepcionante:
— Um... livro?! — balbuciei.
— É dos Cinco — disse ela. E sorrindo perguntou — conheces?
— Não.
— É para leres, ouviste! — disse o autoritário do meu irmão.
Fiquei aflito. Abri o livro e em quase 100 folhas voando debaixo do meu polegar não vi senão meia dúzia de ilustrações. Era palavreado a mais. Com tão poucos bonecos eu não ia conseguir perceber a história sem ler. Como sabia que eles me perguntariam algo sobre o livro, não tinha remédio senão ler aquilo.
— Leio um bocadinho por dia — pensei — se me perguntarem, não há muito a dizer.
No dia de Natal li o primeiro capítulo (e aprendi que o livro se dividia em capítulos).
— Então, gostas do livro?
— É. Já li um capítulo.
Durante quatro dias a cena foi a mesma. Eu aflito e eles percebendo...
No dia a seguir, que era quarta-feira, os Cinco salvaram o tio e... eu. Fora uma fabulosa aventura por passagens secretas no castelo da ilha Kirrin. Os espiões foram presos e o tio Alberto fez grandes descobertas científicas. E eu tinha acabado o livro!
Quando o meu irmão chegou do namoro perguntei-lhe se a namorada tinha muitos livros dos Cinco.
— Eu peço-lhe para ela te emprestar os dela — e sorriu.

Bic Laranja, 8 de Agosto de 2005.
(http://biclaranja.blogs.sapo.pt/192439.html) ( )
  biclaranja | Oct 22, 2016 |
Opening Sentence: ‘…Anne was trying to do some of her prep in a corner of the common-room when her cousin George came bursting in.…’

This is the sixth Famous Five adventure starring George, Julian, Dick, Anne and Timmy the dog. I am working my way through the series that kept me enthralled when I was 10 – and still appeals to me 40 years, and many re-reads later.

Uncle Quentin, George’s father, has decided to do some scientific experiments on the island where he can carry out his work uninterrupted and surrounded by water. George is horrified that she can’t camp on her beloved island, and even more appalled by the huge glowing tower her father has had built in the castle yard, but her three cousins jolly her out of her sulk and they find other activities to do. Uncle Quentin is very secretive about the work he is doing – and the children can’t figure out where he is staying on the island. To stop his wife worrying, uncle Quentin agrees to signal the mainland twice a day from the top of the tower so they know he is ok. It is all very mysterious. After a day or so uncle Quentin signals more than he is suppose to, indicating something is wrong. When the Five, and George’s mother arrive, uncle Quentin says that he thinks someone is spying on him and can Timmy stay on the island with him, he will bring the dog to the tower with him each day so George can see he is alright. George is not happy once more – but Timmy stays.

A few days later the dog can’t be seen, and George has a hissy fit. What is happening? Is uncle Quentin ok? What secrets are happening on the island? You guessed it – adventure time. There is evil to overcome and the island is facing its greatest threat before the culmination of the story peaks with all the Five involved and helped by friends old and new from various sources. ( )
  sally906 | Mar 11, 2010 |
U.S. title for this book is "Five Guard a Hidden Discovery"
  SueDNim | Aug 2, 2007 |
The sixth Enid Blyton book, one which I didn't like very much as a child, it included a weird tower that Uncle Quintine did experiments off. I didn't get that. ( )
  woollymammoth | Nov 19, 2006 |

Enid Blytonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andersson, StaffanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvenpää, HeidiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lennerthson, KerstinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my Two Children
GILLIAN and IMOGEN

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,037,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible