HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Last Coyote (1995)

by Michael Connelly

Series: Harry Bosch Universe (4)

Harry attacked his commanding officer and is suspended indefinitely, pending a psychiatric evaluation. At first he resists the LAPD shrink, but finally recognizes that something is troubling him and has for a long time. In 1961, when Harry was twelve, his mother, a prostitute, was brutally murdered with no one ever accused of the crime. With the spare time a suspension brings, Harry opens up the thirty-year-old file on the case and is irresistibly drawn into a past he has always avoided. It's clear that the case was fumbled and the smell of a cover-up is unmistakable. Someone powerful was able to divert justice and Harry vows to uncover the truth. As he relentlessly follows the broken pieces of the case, the stirred interest causes new murders and pushes Harry to the edge of his job...and his life.… (more)

English (86)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (93)
Harry Bosch, you dumb self-destructive SOB! This is the fourth in a very long series. I sure hope you wise up or I don't see how you're going to make it. Did end with a hopeful little smile though, so that's good. ( )
  JudyGibson | Jan 26, 2023 |
While on involuntary stress leave (ISL), Harry Bosch starts looking into his mother’s murder, which has remained unsolved for thirty years. As he unravels clues, he finds evidence of a cover-up to protect powerful people. His mother was a prostitute and Harry thinks she didn’t count – in his mind “everybody counts, or nobody counts.” While on ISL, he is expected to see a psychiatrist, who is expected to determine if and when he can return to work.

On the plus side, it kept my interest. The female reporter and psychologist are believable. I was pleased to see women of color in supporting roles. The therapy sessions provide insight into Harry’s mental state and his many issues. Harry is not a particularly likeable guy (the terms “loose cannon” and “jerk” come to mind), so we need this insight to feel sympathy for him.

On the minus side, it has many of the same drawbacks I usually find in detective novels. It contains too many twists and red herrings to keep the reader from figuring it out too early, but these must eventually be explained, and the explanations are often unsatisfying. Cliches abound. The romance is clunky and superfluous.

The audio book is nicely read by Dick Hill. His gravelly baritone fits this type of novel, and his characters’ voices are very well done. I liked it overall, but not sure whether to read any more of these. ( )
  Castlelass | Oct 30, 2022 |
I think this may be my favorite Harry Bosch novel so far. It really digs deep into his psyche, and shows a lot about how and why he is the way he is. Towards the end, I had trouble putting it down. I often read while peddling on my stationary bike, and near the end I was surprised to see I had been doing it for close to 90 minutes. Even though I was just taking it easy, I managed to burn 400 calories, which made me feel pretty good about spending so much time reading. ( )
  MartyFried | Oct 9, 2022 |
Hmm...I didn't like this one as much. It feels labored and with too many twists and close calls and subplots. I think I'll go with The Poet next and take a little Bosch break (but not a Connelly break). ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Aug 6, 2022 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pépin, RobertTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pinchera, FrancescaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
This is for Marcus Grupa
"Any thoughts that you'd like to start with?"
ISBN 0752846833 is for The Harry Bosch Novels Volume Two

Harry attacked his commanding officer and is suspended indefinitely, pending a psychiatric evaluation. At first he resists the LAPD shrink, but finally recognizes that something is troubling him and has for a long time. In 191, when Harry was twelve, his mother, a prostitute, was brutally murdered with no one ever accused of the crime.
With the spare time a suspension brings, Harry opens up the thirty-year-old file on the case and is irresistibly drawn into a past he has always avoided. It's clear that the case was fumbled and the smell of a cover-up is unmistakable. Someone powerful was able to divert justice and Harry vows to uncover the truth. As he relentlessly follows the broken pieces of the case, the stirred interest causes new murders and pushes Harry to the edge of his job... and his life

Hachette Book Group

2 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316153907, 0446619078

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,619,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible