The Witching Hour

by Anne Rice

Demonstrating once again her gift for spellbinding stoyrtelling, Anne Rice makes real a family of witches--a family given to poetry and incest, to murder and philsophy, a family that is itself haunted by a powerful, dangerous and seductive being." Unfolds like a poisonous lotus blossom redolent with luxurious evil." THE LOS ANGELES TIMES "From the Paperback edition."… (more)

English (98)  Italian (1)  All languages (99)
The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches) by Anne Rice (1993)
  arosoff | Jul 11, 2021 |
hb
  5083mitzi | Jul 1, 2021 |
I bought my copy of The Witching Hour well over a decade ago, and though I thought it was incredible back then, I wasn't as thrilled by it the second read through.

Why? It's too long, and huge chunks of pages could have been cut. It was repetitive. Worst of all, quite a bit of the dialogue between the main characters, Rowan and Michael, felt contrived, forced, and unrealistic. Sometimes it went as far as to make me think I was reading the script for a soap opera. I didn't feel their deep, unending love for each other. Instead, I felt like gagging and rolling my eyes. Hot, passionate sex after just meeting doesn't equal true love forever.

While the rest of the story is classic Anne Rice, I think she got a bit out of her depth with the romance. It would have been better if she stuck to what she knows: Horror, the supernatural and paranormal, and steamy sexual encounters. I'm going to continue with the Lives of the Mayfair Witches trilogy since it becomes more about Lasher and an interesting twist on some Pagan mythology, but, had this been the first time I had read The Witching Hour, I would probably just stick with her Vampire Chronicles. ( )
1 vote FortifiedByBooks | Jan 5, 2021 |
This is a fast, fun read; the history of the Mayfair family was my favorite part.

There were two things for me to fall in love with in this book. First, the house....I do love a tale of a big, gorgeous old house with an unsavory history and maybe a ghost or two lurking. Secondly, the Talamasca.....after reading about the order I just wanted to become a member. I'm not sure where Anne Rice got the inspiration for the Talamasca, but I really enjoyed the whole concept of it.

As a trilogy, The Witching Hour is the best of the three. ( )
  Equestrienne | Jan 5, 2021 |
Very Loooooooooooooong. Good Though ( )
  Ciscomatic | Sep 26, 2020 |
Novela escrita por Anne Rice, y primer libro de la trilogía de "Las Brujas de Mayfair", en el que se explica el origen, tanto de la familia de brujas más antigua, (sobre la que se tenga conocimiento en el universo creado por Anne Rice), como el de las criaturas llamadas Taltos, las cuales son tratadas con mayor profundidad en el tercer libro de la saga.

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Goldmann (43193)
And the rain is brain-colored.
And the thunder sounds like something remembering something.

STAN RICE
With Love:

For Stan Rice and Christopher Rice

For John Preston

For O'Brien Borchardt, Tamara O'Brien Tinker, Karen O'Brien,
and Micki O'Brien Collins

And for
Dorothy Van Bever O'Brien, who bought me my first typewriter in 1959, taking the time and trouble to see that it was a good one.
The doctor woke up afraid.

Rowan Mayfair, a neurosurgeon with special powers and the descendant of a dynasty of witches, is drawn to Michael Curry, gifted with strange powers after a near-fatal accident, as they seek to unlock the secret of their talents.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,491,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible