Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art (1993)

by Scott McCloud

Other authors: Will Eisner (Editorial advisor), Neil Gaiman (Editorial Advisor), Bob Lappan (Letterer), Mark Martin (Editor)

Series: Understanding Comics (1)

Praised throughout the cartoon industry by such luminaries as Art Spiegelman, Matt Groening, and Will Eisner, this innovative comic book provides a detailed look at the history, meaning, and art of comics and cartooning.

English (81)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Korean (1)  All languages (88)
I didn't grow up reading comics. I've recently started reading more, but I'm still figuring out what I enjoy (Y the Last Man, Walking Dead, Saga, and Attack on Titan so far).

This book is completely different. It's not about how to read comics, but about how to write comics. While I have no intention of writing comics, it's an insightful overview of how to create a story using a combination of images and words – something I want to get better at.

What impresses me most about this book is that it felt like a conversation between me and the author. The entire comic is written in a format where the author, the main character of the comic, is introducing you to various comic concepts and exploring why they work (or don't). Although I don't plan to create comics, I came out of this with a bunch of ideas that I want to try on mediums I work in. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
This is a great book that honestly changed how I felt about comics completely. I had never really been exposed to comics outside of the weekly newspaper. Of course I knew the titles that were out there, and I did more than my fair share of watching cartoons and movies based on comic characters, but I didn't "get it." The medium was not mine. McCloud's book gave me the tools I needed to really understand the art of comics. How comics use the blending of art and written word to really present ideas in a unique way that no other art form can really do.
Reading this book opened my mind to a broad range of stories that I never would have read or even known about, some of which are among my most cherished books now. ( )
  althomas39 | Apr 20, 2021 |
I've tended not to read comics for a couple of reasons -- I don't feel like I have the patience to engage in the way they require you to engage, and I've felt like most of what's out there just wouldn't interest me; I don't really care about superheroes, for example. I guess I'm basically a snob. So I'll read something literary (e.g. Chris Ware's Jimmy Corrigan) but not something light. This snobbery at least applies across genres; it's not the comic form itself that I'm snobbish about but the sort of material that most of what I think of as comics covers.

This was a great read. It was very clever, and nicely laid out, and easy and fun to read, and it made me think about aesthetics and narrative in ways that I found satisfying. It's probably not for everybody, but I think most anybody who likes thinking about how stories and art function would find it appealing. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
A highly engaging and informative unpacking of the comics world. McCloud merges history, analysis, and workshop in this text. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
The official how-to and why-is-it-so textbook for graphic literature. More than that, the context itself is humorous and fascinating. Call it Meta-Graphic-Novel if you may. This book for comic student is like Campbell Biology for Life Science student. Amazing! ( )
  Rex_Lui | Sep 12, 2019 |

Scott McCloudprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eisner, WillEditorial advisorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilEditorial Advisorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lappan, BobLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Martin, MarkEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

My old pal Matt Feazell called the other day.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,489,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible