Body Language by Julius Fast

Body Language (1970)

by Julius Fast

Yes, I know this is probably outdated- but I still love what mr. Fast is saying, and I guess his musings are still valid today! ( )
  shireling | Feb 12, 2011 |
This book was one of the first book for the general public that was based on the scince of body language and interpersonal space. It is an easy resd with a lot of fun information. I am not sure how up to date the information is since this book was written in the 70s. ( )
  gra29 | Oct 4, 2010 |
  MsPibel | Jun 12, 2009 |
I was hoping from this to get a better guide on body language- this means this. Ideally, I was hoping for a book of tips on how to convey the messages you want- how to act in an interview, on a date, etc. Instead, this book gave many interesting anecdotes and examples, but no guide. It was interesting and I did learn things, but I was hoping for a more concrete guide. ( )
  t1bnotown | Jan 13, 2008 |
One of the most common criticisms in writing workshops is there are too many smiling and eye verbs. What’s that? For those of you not in the know, it boils down to the fact that if there’s a gesture, the character usually smiles, or “does something” with his/her eyes. Narrowed eyes, glanced away, stared, etc. Any verb your eyes can do, or any description of eyes (fire raged within) falls under this category.

The reason writers do this is simple: we’re in the age of film. Movies and television shows have made an actor’s more subtle movements far more important, whereas before, in theater, gestures were grand and dramatic because we didn’t have the close up view. And, as many writers watch television and movies, we’re obviously influenced by what we see.

So, like many writers, I have a lot of smiling and eye verbs. So, in order to expand my knowledge of gestures and hone in on some other physical reactions, I picked this book up (it was recommended). Unfortunately, it wasn’t what I was expecting.

What was I expecting? Well, I guess something more along the lines of charts and the sort: look up anxiety and you get all kinds of gestures and movements that reveal anxiety. That sort of thing. And by the way, if anyone knows of such a book, please comment with the title, author, and a link. It’d be most appreciated.

However, I didn’t get what I wanted. Instead, the book was written at the cusp of what I’ll call the “body language revolution,” before too many people were made too conscious of what it was and how it could be utilized. Copyrighted in 1970 (expanded by Barnes & Noble in 2002), this book goes through the various ways of considering body language and how it was (is) an imprecise science.

While I’m familiar with a lot of this, reading the book made for a nice reminder for my own body language and the signals I might be sending out. It’s also nice to put a name to something and analyze it in life. But as for giving me greater insight to my characters and more options for my writing? Not so much.

However, understanding the basics of body language, if for nothing else than for your own self-awareness. The next step being watching how others interact with each other. I don’t know if I’d recommend this book in particular (after all, there’s tons of stuff out available nowadays, all divided into neat categories), but I’d definitely recommend reading up on the subject. It’s interesting enough, and can definitely be insightful. ( )
1 vote devilwrites | Aug 24, 2007 |

Penetrate the personal secrets of intimates and strangers by watching how their bodies move.

Find out how you can make your body work for you

"How do you break out of your shell? How do you reach out to others? The first step in breaking free must be understanding that shell, understanding the defenses you have set up." --Julius
Fast

Body Language Can Communicate Feelings Without Words

Learn the principles of kinesics, the science of non-verbal communication, in Julius Fast's amazing bestseller

B O D Y L A N G U A G E

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671673254, Mass Market Paperback)

This classic books introduces kinetics, the science of non-verbal communication, which is used to analyze the common gestures we use and observe every day, gestures which reveal our deepest feelings and hidden thoughts to total strangers—if they know how to read them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:29 -0400)

Introduction / John Elderfield -- Faces / Mary Chan -- Gesture / Starr Figura -- Posture / Sarah Ganz -- Pairs / Maria del Carmen Gonzalez -- Groups / M. Darsie Alexander.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,839,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible