A Break with Charity by Ann Rinaldi

A Break with Charity (1992)

by Ann Rinaldi

I'll wait and get this on the Kindle!
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
This book was truly a treat when I started it, I thought it would be like any other Salem book, starts out all nice explaining what happened then explaining what happened in result of it all. I was not excpeting an entire story out of the events, even though it was fiction I still felt like that was what could of happened and we just don't know about it. This book is filled with mysteries and wickness, a great mixture together. Rinaldi did a really amazing job writing this book. ( )
  bethanyrenee13 | May 13, 2016 |
ALA BBYA. RGG: Well-written recounting of the Salem Witch Trials from the perspective of a peer of the accusers.
  rgruberexcel | Sep 4, 2012 |
A great, well researched fictional story about the events of the Salem Witch Trials. Includes a great authors not that separates fact from fiction. ( )
  Sassy_Seshat | Apr 30, 2012 |
In 1692 in Salem Massachusetts, 22 people were executed for being witches. One by one, these people have been accused by a group of teenage girls, and the townspeople have listened to them. In turn, the accused witches are hanged, stoned, or drowned, and the town keeps turning back to these girls to identify more witches. This book tells the story of the girls who started the Salem witch trials. ( )
  BattenLibrary | Oct 14, 2011 |
For my husband, Ron, who was with me through it all.
Prologue - 1706: I have come early this afternoon to sit, before anyone else arrives, in the quiet of Salem Meetinghouse.
Chapter 1: The day I met Sarah Bibber behind the cluster of trees outside the parsonage was not a good day.
Women who read books, who wrote their thoughts on parchment, did not honor their fathers or ministers. They were considered dangerous. It went back to the time of Anne Hutchinson.

Father had told us about Anne. She had been a self-proclaimed minister who had put forth her own independent religious beliefs and argued against ordained ministers.

Massachusetts Bay Colony had never quite recovered from the heresies of Anne Hutchinson. In 1637, its leaders had tried her for thinking on her own and banished her and her followers to Rhode Island.

I would lie in bed plunged into depths of fear that I had heretofore never known existed. I would think of my family and yearn for those wonderful days of my past when we were together. I asked myself what had happened to us all and how could such things happen to good people. And why did I never realize how precious those days were that went before. I knew my life would never be the same, and I wondered if we would ever be happy again, any of us in Salem.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152046828, Paperback)

Susanna desperately wants to join the circle of girls who meet every week at the parsonage. What she doesn't realize is that the girls are about to set off a torrent of false accusations leading to the imprisonment and execution of countless innocent people. Susanna faces a painful choice. Should she keep quiet and let the witch-hunt panic continue, or should she "break charity" with the group--and risk having her own family members named as witches?
Reader's guide included.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:59 -0400)

While waiting for a church meeting in 1706, Susanna English, daughter of a wealthy Salem merchant, recalls the malice, fear, and accusations of witchcraft that tore her village apart in 1692.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,296,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible