The Museum of Innocence by Orhan Pamuk

The Museum of Innocence

by Orhan Pamuk

English (43)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (54)
Masterpiece. Pamuk's attempt at Proust is epic and beautiful, if imperfect. A labyrinthine history of mid-late 20th century Istambul as it was lived, in the form of a love story. This book gets right to the limits of time, memory, and the ambivalence of feeling. Worth it for the index of names. ( )
  Eoin | Jun 3, 2019 |
If it weren't for my apparent inability to leave a book unfinished, I'd have abandoned this a quarter of the way through. Long book? No problem. Long book with no plot? Potentially very problematic. In this case, I don't think the author managed to redeem the lack of plot with any other features. ( )
  Lindoula | Sep 25, 2017 |
L'inizio è banalotto (la pelle color del miele, l'estasi post coitum, i bambini in sottofondo che riempiono il silenzio... efficace, ma già letto. E riletto).
Dal fidanzamento in poi, momento in cui incomincia il tormento del protagonista, le cose vanno decisamente bene, Pamuk al suo meglio. MA poi il pur buon Orhan ti propina una sequela infinita di cene in famiglia a casa di provincialotti che guardano la TV turca anni Settanta come amebe e cinematografari (sic) della Istan-wood fine anni '70... e il TEDIUM VITAE ti prende e non ti molla più! :-D
E allora ingrani la quarta (che significa: Lettura cursoria) giusto per finire e poi chiederti: -Ma quest'ometto qui sarà ancora in grado di irretirmi come con Neve, la Nuova vita, Il mio nome è Rosso e pure con Istanbul oppure si è perso a Stoccolma? :-( ( )
  downisthenewup | Aug 17, 2017 |
This same story could have been told in half the length. Reading about a guy who created his own misery moon over one of the women he hurt and whine for almost 300 pages was enough for me. I can't do it anymore. I like the bones of the story and it could have been really wonderful, but it's incredibly verbose and the pages drag as a result. Also, inserting yourself as a character in your book is tacky. ( )
1 vote Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
This book had a profound effect upon me because, despite his obsessive thoughts and compulsive behavior, I truly grew to like Kemal. I especially enjoyed the chapter entitled "Sometimes". The character I could barely abide was the lady who was Kemal's obsession. I enjoyed the other main character...Istanbul. When an author makes himself a character in his own work of fiction, is that totally narcissistic or brilliantly clever? I've not yet decided. I can say that I will carry this work with me for the rest of my life, never to be forgotten. Spending time with Kemal was nice, in spite of his craziness. ( )
  briellenadyne | Sep 26, 2016 |
"The Museum of Innocence" deeply and compellingly explores the interplay between erotic obsession and sentimentality -- and never once slips into the sentimental. There is a master at work in this book.

"The Museum of Innocence" is a deeply human and humane story. Masterfully translated, spellbindingly told, it is resounding confirmation that Orhan Pamuk is one of the great novelists of his generation. With this book, he literally puts love into our hands.

Pamuk, Orhanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dorleijn, MargreetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freely, MaureenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
La Rosa Salim, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meier, GerhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oklap, EkinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
These were innocent people, so innocent that they thought poverty a crime that wealth would allow them to forget. - from the notebooks of Celâl Salik
If a man could pass thro' Paradise in a Dream, and have a flower presented to him as a pledge that his Soul had really been there, and found that flower in his hand when he awoke - Aye? and what then? - from the notebooks of Samuel Taylor Coleridge
First I surveyed the little trinkets on the table, her lotions and her perfumes. I picked them up and examined them one by one. I turned her little watch over in my hand. Then I looked at her wardrobe. All those dresses and accessories piled one on top of the other. These things that every woman used to complete herself - they induced in me a painful and desperate loneliness; I felt myself hers, I longed to be hers. - from the notebooks of Ahmet Hamdi Tanpinar
To Rüya
Es war der glücklichste Augenblick meines Lebens, und ich wusste es nicht einmal.
It was the happiest moment of my life , though I didn’t know it. Had I known , had I cherished this gift , would everything have turned out differently ? Yes, if I had recognized this instant of perfect happiness, I would have held it fast and never let it slip away.
Not to be confused with L'innocenza degli oggetti. Il Museo dell'innocenza, Istanbul (English title: The Innocence of Objects; original title: Şeylerin Masumiyeti)

This book has changed my life. Because of him I took a plane straight to istanbul because of him i went to de museum of innocence. Then I read all of pamuk's work and returned to Istanbul. One year later, I met Pamuk in Lisbon. Definitely changed my literary life

It is 1975, a perfect spring in Istanbul. Kemal, scion of one of the city's wealthiest families, is about to become engaged to Sibel, daughter of another prominent family, when he encounters Fusun, a beautiful shopgirl and a distant relation. Thus begins an obsessive but tragic love affair that will transform itself into a compulsive collection of objects--a museum of one man's broken heart--that chronicle Kemal's lovelorn progress and his afflicted heart's reactions.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,508,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible