One False Note

by Gordon Korman

Series: The 39 Clues (2)

A million dollars, or a clue? Police report a break-in at an elite hotel, and the suspects sound suspiciously like Amy and Dan. There's a car and speedboat chase and an angry mob! When there's a Clue on the line, anything can happen.

{My Thoughts} – I like that this series is written though different authors. It will definitely help to keep things fresh.

Amy, Dan and their Au Pair, Nellie, head off to Europe in search of more Ben Franklin and Mozart clues. The siblings have an interesting plan in order to obtain all the clues that are needed to solve the ending mystery. They are under the belief that as long as they are with Nellie they will succeed and I can’t say I disagree with them, but I can say they have some rough travels.

Amy and Dan have a few brushes with death in this book as they did in the first. They also have some run-ins with the police, and many of their insane must defeat all and get clues to keep to themselves relatives. They siblings however, prove to be quite resourceful and are capable of keeping up with the rest of their relatives even though they don’t have all the perks of being rich and having everything pretty much handed to them.

I like that they are part of a non-privileged class in a sense and that they are overcoming those that assume to be greater. I kind of makes me think of Harry Potter. Orphaned children, overcoming the odds, defeating those that would otherwise be considered evil. It really is turning out to be a wonderful series to read and I can’t wait to pass it onto my children. This series is kind of making me want to finish reading or re-start the Harry Potter series. I don’t know for sure yet, I do have a load of books to read before that can happen.

I do think that this is a must read book for anyone that enjoyed the National Treasure Movie Series and Harry Potter even Sta Wars quite honestly. They all seem to have a little something of each in common. Main thing being the whole main characters are orphaned. It might be just what you need to read if you want different but similar takes on the stories you have read or heard before. ( )
  Zapkode | Jun 1, 2024 |

CrimsonSoul | Jun 1, 2024 |
Mystery
  BooksInMirror | Feb 19, 2024 |
The writing in this (the second book of the 39 Clues series) is mechanical and heavy with exposition. Where's the sparkle? The wit? The fun? If it had taken me more than two hours to read, I wouldn't have finished it.

I particularly hated Jonah Wizard's dialogue. "This place is off the hook, yo"? Really?

Let's hope the next author to take up the story is more inspired. ( )
  LibrarianDest | Jan 3, 2024 |
I enjoyed this book a little more than the previous. It’s probably mostly due to the story already being in progress, whereas the previous one had to start the train going. I feel like there’s a little less cut-and-dry logic to some of what they’re solving and the clues they get, which kind of bothers the escape room enthusiast in me. But I’m liking the series so far and looking forward to continuing it. ( )
  Kristi_D | Sep 22, 2023 |
This is a really good book about two kids that are on a dangerous race to find the thirty-nine clues - against their own relatives. No one is about to help Dan and Amy any time soon though, in fact, there are traps around every corner.
This is the second book in the series and is very good!
added by serenastory | editStudent

Korman, Gordonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pittu, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riordan, Ricksecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the brother-sister teams, from the Mozarts through the Cahills, from a grateful only child
The hunger strike began two hours east of Paris.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,047,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible