Sandstorm by James Rollins

Sandstorm (2005)

by James Rollins

The Eight by Katherine Neville (majkia)
    majkia: similar race to uncover mysteries.

English (44)  Italian (1)  All languages (45)
Sandstorm marks the introduction to James Rollins' Sigma Force series and after finishing this today, I'll definitely be reading the others.

A slick action adventure, Sandstorm begins in London, at the British Museum, seconds before a mysterious explosion erupts through an exhibit, and the action doesn't let up from there.

Cleverly weaving an introduction to the main cast of characters within the first four chapters, while never letting the pace slacken, Sandstorm whips along to the (literally) earth shattering finale.

A clever mix of scientific fact and adrenalin-fuelled fiction, this story packs a punch. ( )
  RachelAmphlett | Jul 23, 2018 |
Good science and physics. All around entertaining. ( )
  ppmarkgraf | May 5, 2018 |
Very interesting blend of science-fiction (which I usually don't like) and suspense. Interesting reads. ( )
  songbird72 | Feb 25, 2018 |
It was ... wow. I loved every minute of it. I loved the history, the science, the different characters. There were times when I thought this novel was journeying into the land of fantasy, only to find myself being brought back to the realm of science. Although some parts were a tad bit hard to swallow, the story line was interesting and the adventurous journey was thrilling. Every angle was covered and new angles were brought to light constantly. I literally could not put this book down. It got to the point where I neglected doing the required readings for my courses and simply focused on this novel. James Rollins channels Michael Crichton in the way he writes and in the way he makes the surreal come to life and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Michael Crichton! READ THIS BOOK, READ THIS BOOK, READ THIS BOOK! IT IS THE COOLEST AND CRAZIEST NOVEL AND WORTH READING!!!! As you can tell, I really liked this book. ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
With ancient civilisations hidden under the sands of the deserts of Arabia and an archaeologist in the mould of Indiana Jones, along with a rich heiress and a beautiful Professor of Archaeology this has pretty all the required elements of a successful thriller and I have to say that there is all the action you need as the protagonists seek out a source of energy that would make the Arabian oil fields look pretty pointless

While I can't comment on most of the settings or the likelihood of the storage of antimatter as presented in the novel, the way the British Museum was invaded, with overhead power lines being brought down, is a bit extreme (and we use underground power lines in the UK mostly) ( )
  JohnFair | Nov 30, 2017 |
To Katherine, Adrienne, and RJ, the next generation.
Harry Masterson would be dead in thirteen minutes.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060580674, Mass Market Paperback)

The explosive first adventure in James Rollins' bestselling Sigma Force series!

A freak explosion in the British museum in London ignites a perilous race for an earth-shaking power source buried deep beneath the sands of history. Painter Crowe is an agent for Sigma Force, a covert arm of the Defense Department tasked with keeping dangerous scientific discoveries out of enemy hands. When an ancient artifact points the way toward the legendary "Atlantis of the Sands," Painter must travel across the world in search of the lost city-and a destructive power beyond imagining.

But Painter has competition. A band of ruthless mercenaries, led by a former friend and ally, are also intent on claiming the prize, and they will destroy anyone who gets in their way.

Ancient history collides with cutting-edge science-with the safety of the world at stake!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:20 -0400)

Twenty years after a wealthy British financier disappears near the site of a lost fabled city, the man's daughter leads an expedition of scientists in search of the city, which harbors a powerful but dangerous energy source.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,508,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible