Sophie by Guy Burt

Sophie

by Guy Burt

512233,859 (4)1

What a good read this was. When I picked up this book I really wasn't sure what to expect, I had heard good things about the author, but honestly my expectations were not that high. It was one of those books that in the beginning I thought to myself, "This is moving too slow ... I'm not sure I'll enjoy this .... why bother reading...", but something about it kept me moving through it. I was enjoying it without realizing it, nothing like some stealth enjoyment. When the realization hit me about a 3rd of the way in that I was actually enjoying this and had been from the get go, I plowed through the rest and couldn't put it down.

What was it about this book that I enjoyed so much? Just the pure story telling that goes on. Guy Burt can tell a story. He can draw you in, make you feel for the characters, make you feel like you're watching the story unfold from afar. I really can't tell too much of the plot without giving it all away, but let's just say that you'll think you'll have it figured out, find out you're wrong, then figure it out again and once more realize you're wrong, then finally get a grasp of how it all plays out and think that you're right, but then realize you're wrong once more. Great stuff. If you enjoy the psychological thriller genre or if you enjoy any genre as long as it's a good read, go out and get this book. ( )
  harpua | Jul 7, 2009 |
Wonderful book by an underrated author. Dark and twisted are some of the first words that come to mind. Involves a little girl who's a genius, but the story is told by her grown kid brother. You may think you know what's going to happen.

But I promise. You have no idea. ( )
  labelleza | Nov 27, 2007 |
Matthew sits across from me on the boards of the empty room.

She was much too smart for anyone's good.

Young Mattie and Sophie lived in a world seemingly without constraints. Their cold mother barely paid attention to her children. Their father, a mere shadow in their lives, was never home. So Mattie and Sophie had the run of the gardens and the woods beyond. They played youthful games, but Sophie was extraordinarily intelligent, a fact she took great pains to hide from her teachers so as not to stand out. Sophie was everything to Mattie, and he worshipped her. He wanted to know her secrets, the things that went on inside her brilliant mind. But Sophie was changing. And the summer before she went away to boarding school, the things she had worked so hard to conceal would come spilling out — and Mattie would have to live with the shocking consequences.

Now he's all grown-up, too, and Matthew wants answers to the questions that still darken his mind — no matter what the cost...

“[Sophie] combines the creepy narrative power of a young William Golding with the disturbingly accurate memory of what it is like to be a child. . . . So good that one can only wonder what [Burt] will do next.”
—The Times (London)

In a dark room of a dilapidated house, as a storm rages outside, Matthew lights a candle and places it in the center of the floor. Its light spreads across the wall and illuminates Sophie, tied up in a chair facing him. She is frightened, fearful of what he might do next. But for now, it seems, all Matthew wants to do is talk. Talk about the events of nearly twenty years ago, about their strange childhood, and about the summer when Sophie grew up and everything changed . . . forever.

Young Mattie and Sophie lived in a world seemingly without constraints. Their cold mother barely paid attention to her children. Their father, a mere shadow in their lives, was never home. So Mattie and Sophie had the run of the gardens and the woods beyond. They played youthful games, but Sophie was extraordinarily intelligent, a fact she took great pains to hide from her teachers, so as not to stand out. Sophie was everything to Mattie, and he worshiped her. He wanted to know her secrets, the things that went on inside her brilliant mind. But Sophie was changing. And the summer before she went away to boarding school, the things she had worked so hard to conceal would come spilling out—and Mattie would have to live with the shocking consequences.

Now he’s all grown up, too, and Matthew wants answers to the questions that still darken his mind—no matter what the cost. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:51 -0400)

"A young woman called Sophie is being held prisoner by her younger brother, Matthew, in their childhood home. As children, Sophie and Matthew were inseparable. Brilliant Sophie cared for Matthew and protected him from their distant and cruel mother, but now, Matthew is distraught and dangerous. He desperately seeks answers to the questions raised by the traumas of their childhood".… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,214,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible