Green Grass, Running Water by Thomas King

Green Grass, Running Water (1993)

by Thomas King

Celia's Song by Lee Maracle (unlucky)
    Fifteen Dogs by André Alexis (unlucky)
    unlucky: Both stories engage with mythology in interesting and novel ways to make philosophical points and both share a similar sense humour
    A discovery of strangers by Rudy Wiebe (MissBrangwen)
    Kiss of the Fur Queen by Tomson Highway (Nickelini)
    Elle by Douglas Glover (saratoga99)

I read this book as part of a bookclub read. I had just finished The Inconvenient Indian so probably was on King overload. I found this book hard to get into because it was so hard to follow. The real life characters were the best part of the story for me, but all the symbolism and story telling bogged everything down. The moderator of our conference gave us a lot of background for each section as far as names and symbolism which definitely helped me to understand the story better. There are some humorous parts but overall, not a book I would read for enjoyment. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
(Rating: 4.5 /5.0, rounded up) ( )
  rabbit.blackberry | Oct 19, 2017 |
(Rating: 4.5 /5.0, rounded up) ( )
  rabbit.blackberry | Oct 19, 2017 |
Oh dear. While reading this, I felt frustrated. I didn't find it funny." I didn't think it unlike other Native fiction. I didn't understand it, or like it. *However* - days & other books later, I'm still thinking about it, and some glimmers of understanding are coming to me as I see something in life, or in another story, that seems to echo or reinforce, or be reinforced by, a theme or motif in King's book.

For example, I still think about the white owner and Indian salesman of the electronics store, and their relationship to one another. And about the man who stopped the implementation of an already built dam for at least a decade. And Alberta who wants a child but not a husband. And the way Coyote was overshadowed by the other characters in the Tales.

So, um, highly recommended to careful readers with some experience in or knowledge of Indian (especially Canadian Blackfoot and Cree) history - but probably not so appealing for ordinary readers like me." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
very interesting read.

king has got a lot going on in this story and this is a book he wants, i think, readers to work for. there are a lot of historical and cultural references, along with plays on origin stories. knowing these things, and catching them while reading, really added to the story for me, so i hope that people who read the book and don't know something they encounter will take a moment to look it up. king also uses satire in this novel. for the first part of the book (it's divided into four sections), it worked for me, but as the story progressed, it was less effective as a device or approach for me. i worried that the importance of the book would be lost, or even missed, because of the style of humour. or, even worse, that a knucklehead reading the book would take the satire and use it to reinforce negative beliefs already held. but then... that kind of person probably wouldn't pick up this book in the first place, would they? sigh.

that's my very brief take for now. this is a group read i am leading for the month of march, but i was having trouble sticking with the schedule and wanted to just read it all so i could get to the big picture. i may update this review at the end of the month; i have a crap-ton of information. the discussion are also really adding to the read, so it's definitely a great novel to read with others. ( )
  Booktrovert | Mar 18, 2015 |

Thomas Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Conde, JoseCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, AlanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Just for Helen
who will not think less
of me for having written it
So. In the beginning, there was nothing.

Strong, Sassy women and hard-luck hardheaded men, all searching for the middle ground between Native American tradition and the modern world, perform an elaborate dance of approach and avoidance in this magical, rollicking tale by Cherokee author Thomas King. Alberta is a university professor who would like to trade her two boyfriends for a baby but no husband; Lionel is forty and still sells televisions for a patronizing boss; Eli and his log cabin stand in the way of a profitable dam project. These three--and others--are coming to the Blackfoot reservation for the Sun Dance and there they will encounter four Indian elders and their companion, the trickster Coyote--and nothing in the small town of Blossom will be the same again...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,395,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible