Green Grass, Running Water (1993)

by Thomas King

Strong, Sassy women and hard-luck hardheaded men, all searching for the middle ground between Native American tradition and the modern world, perform an elaborate dance of approach and avoidance in this magical, rollicking tale by Cherokee author Thomas King. Alberta is a university professor who would like to trade her two boyfriends for a baby but no husband; Lionel is forty and still sells televisions for a patronizing boss; Eli and his log cabin stand in the way of a profitable dam project. These three--and others--are coming to the Blackfoot reservation for the Sun Dance and there they will encounter four Indian elders and their companion, the trickster Coyote--and nothing in the small town of Blossom will be the same again...… (more)
    Celia's Song by Lee Maracle (unlucky)
    Fifteen Dogs: An Apologue by André Alexis (unlucky)
    unlucky: Both stories engage with mythology in interesting and novel ways to make philosophical points and both share a similar sense humour
    A discovery of strangers by Rudy Wiebe (MissBrangwen)
    Kiss of the Fur Queen by Tomson Highway (Nickelini)
    Elle by Douglas Glover (saratoga99)

Though I hated the Dead Dog Restaurant (it added nothing but stupid sadness to the plot) -
UNFORTUNATELY, this will ruin the story for many readers. Zero Stars here.

I LOVED this 5 STAR strange book until the ending.

It made no sense that The Four would go to Eli and then... ( )
  m.belljackson | Apr 23, 2021 |
Read for my Canadian Fiction class.

I really enjoyed this. It was definitely weird and I don't think I 'understood' even half of it, but I'm looking forward to our class discussion a lot! ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
I read this book as part of a bookclub read. I had just finished The Inconvenient Indian so probably was on King overload. I found this book hard to get into because it was so hard to follow. The real life characters were the best part of the story for me, but all the symbolism and story telling bogged everything down. The moderator of our conference gave us a lot of background for each section as far as names and symbolism which definitely helped me to understand the story better. There are some humorous parts but overall, not a book I would read for enjoyment. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
(Rating: 4.5 /5.0, rounded up) ( )
  rabbit.blackberry | Oct 19, 2017 |
(Rating: 4.5 /5.0, rounded up) ( )
  rabbit.blackberry | Oct 19, 2017 |

Thomas Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Conde, JoseCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, AlanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Just for Helen
who will not think less
of me for having written it
So. In the beginning, there was nothing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,588,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible