To Green Angel Tower Part 1 (1993)

by Tad Williams

Series: Memory, Sorrow and Thorn {Tad Williams} (3.1)

In order for the Storm King can cement his power over Osten Ard, he must find and defeat the rebel forces massing against him. But the rebels, led by the exiled Prince Josua, have rallied at the Stone of Farewell and are ready to fight the Storm King with every power they can muster. The key to their victory lies in finding the third sword of legend, Memory - but the sword has been lost for ages. Lost, that is, until Simon Snowlock realises that he knows exactly where the sword is and how to recover it. The only problem: an undead army, bolstered by powerful magic, lies between him and his destination. It will take every ounce of Simon's courage and intelligence to journey to and then recover the great sword Memory and bring peace to Osten Ard. If Simon's quest is to have any hope, Josua must move against the Storm King himself - a journey that will take him across endless seas, through ancient forests and into the stronghold of the Storm King himself. This is the first half of the the epic final volume in Tad Williams' breathtaking, beloved series Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.… (more)

English (11)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (13)
Memory, Sorrow, Thorn was marketed as a trilogy, but this last 'book', comes in two physical books, Part One and Part Two, both close to 800 pages. Typical industry nonsense. These are big books because nothing happens in a big hurry in this series; battles are described carefully and fully, interactions between people, meetings, travel, as well as the descriptions of places in which the characters find themselves, from a Sithi encampment to out on the ocean, or the jungly marshes of the southern lands. We are reminded frequently how hard it is to feed a lot of people who are traveling together, for example. Within the confines of the genre, Williams strives to be "realistic".. At times it can be somewhat exhausting, frankly, and it was all I could do not to turn the pages to find out what happened next, but on the whole, Williams pulls it off. The young people continue to learn and grow (or find it all too difficult to endure) in various ways. He also doesn't shy away from difficult but realistic situations like Miriamele's relationship to Duke Aspitis. I love the development of Duke Isgrimnur in the one, sent off to find Miriamele. Guthwulf's story also intrigues. I would say this one was, in many ways, the strongest so far for me.
Looking forward to the final book. **** ( )
  sibylline | Feb 21, 2021 |
Really enjoyed this third part to the story. I feel a stronger connection to the characters that I didn't get in the first book and I had to a lesser degree in the 2nd novel. The different story arcs were all interesting and I eagerly left each chapter looking forward to the next parts. I'm definitely eager to start the last novel in the series and cannot wait to see what happens. ( )
  briandarvell | Aug 7, 2020 |
Absolutely loved it. One of my favorites by far. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
The story shifts into a new gear with To Green Angel Tower: Seige the third of four books in the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series. The heroes of the tale begin to do better than just flounder the evil of the Storm King that upsets the balance of nature so greatly winter has come to all the land - Game of Thrones style "Winter is coming" (remember this series inspired George RR Martin to write his series).
Reading the book cover text, you would be forgiven for thinking this is the climax of the story. No, the heroes have merely gathered after fleeing an earlier defeat, and now they find they are under siege from an army sympathetic to King Elias' cause.
Immersive and slow paced as always, Tad continues to impress with how well he sinks you into his world while you wish the plot would move faster.
The book approaches close with a brilliant battle at The Stone of Farewell with tragic and heroic events that haunt my memory to this day.
The final events of the book see Princess Miriamele (probably spelled this wrong) leave the relative safety of her uncles forces and head of into the unknown in a desperate attempt to reunite with her father, one of the villains of this tale corrupted by the Storm King. She heads into the eye of the storm, and our intrepid and naive hero, Simon, must follow for he has sworn as a knight to protect her.
Compelling stuff that still needs a good amount of determination to continue reading. ( )
  AdrianGHilder | Feb 22, 2017 |
i bought this used its the part 1 of last book. I hope it gets better but at 800 pages I dont know.....Finished this book late late last night. Don't like Miriamelle storyline at all with her raping and Simon's only 16 which is very hard to believe not only him being knighted with out proper training and his age....But with all the unsettling things Simon's and Miriamelle's storyline flaws I did find myself reading it late into the night. These books are written by someone who likes over lengthy descriptions and long VERY long prose Will finish the series , however not sure if i'll read more by Williams. ( )
  nraichlin | Jan 26, 2016 |

Tad Williamsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And death shall have no dominion.
Dead men naked they shall be one
With the man in the wind and the west moon;
When their bones are picked clean and the clean bones gone
They shall have stars at elbow and foot;
Though they go mad they shall be sane,
Though lovers be lost shall not;
And death shall have no dominion...

-DYLAN THOMAS
(from "And Death Shall Have No Dominion")

Tell all the truth but tell it slant,
Success in circuit lies,
Too bright for our infirm delight
The truth's superb surprise;

As light to children eased
With explanation kind,
The truth must dazzle gradually
Or every man be blind.

-EMILY DICKINSON
This series is dedicated to my mother,
Barbara Jean Evans,
who taught me to search for other worlds,
and to share the things I find in them.

This final volume, To Green Angel Tower,
in itself a little world of heartbreak and joy,
I dedicate to Nancy Deming-Williams,
with much, much love.

Guthwulf, Earl of Utanyeat, ran his fingers back and forth across the scarred wood of Prester John's Great Table, disturbed by the unnatural stillness.
This is the first half of "To Green Angel Tower", not the complete novel. See the Series page for further information.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,459,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible