Color Zoo by Lois Ehlert

Color Zoo

by Lois Ehlert

With bold bright colors and cut out pages Lois Ehlert explores different shapes within the frame of animals in the zoo.
  jet6 | Jun 5, 2017 |
Good for younger with colors and shapes. fun because of animals and the different shapes make different animals. ( )
  bkelley22 | May 4, 2017 |
I would use this book as a first grade read aloud during a math lesson. I would have my students pay close attention to the shapes that are creating the animals they are seeing. I will ask them what shapes they are seeing without letting them see the text. Then I will trace my hand around the shape and draw it on the board so the students will be able to see how the shape looks. Once I have completed reading the book, I will read it again and have the students draw the shape that is being shown. This will help the students connect to what the shapes name is and how to draw them. I could also use this book as an independent read for third graders and have them create their own version of an animal using different shapes. This will encourage the students to create a pattern and then describe which shapes they used to finish their masterpiece. I believe this is a great book for introducing new shapes to younger students and a great way for older students to see how they can combine different shapes to create a pattern or image. ( )
  Jbrochu | Feb 22, 2017 |
This bright colorful book shows different zoo animals created using geometric shape cutouts. It has labels for each animal and the shape used to make it. Great book for introducing toddlers and infants to colors, shapes, and animals. ( )
  JHowe88 | Feb 14, 2017 |
Color Zoo can be used for kindergartners as a read aloud book to teach inferences. There are different animals made by the shapes, the students can look at the shapes below and predict the next animal. This could also be used with kindergartners to teach shapes. The book is about overlapping shapes to create the animals and the shapes are shown after one is taken away to create a different animal. The book is easy to read with a word on each page, the students may be able to read along with you, This book could also be used as an independent read for kindergartners or first the words go directly with the pictures. This book would be easy to use to teach sight words to children and help them start reading.
  MeredithCox | Feb 9, 2017 |
I would use this book in the classroom when teaching about shapes. It is great of the students to see the pages in full color and feel the shapes.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Lots of shapes and colors and animals in this book. It's a good book to look at, structurally, after "Go Away, Big Green Monster". I think some of the shapes the animals are forced into and some of the colors chosen end up being confusing for the preschool reader. This is not one of my favorite books to use for concepts.

Shapes and colors in your zoo, lots of things that you can do. Heads and ears, beaks and snouts, that's what animals are all about. I know animals and you do too; make some new ones for your zoo.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:45 -0400)

Introduces colors and shapes with illustrations of shapes on die-cut pages that form animal faces when placed on top of one another.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,079,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible