Darconville's Cat (1981)

by Alexander Theroux

chrisvia | Apr 29, 2021 |
  chrisvia | Apr 29, 2021 |
An incredibly odd book. A few interesting passages, but a whole lot more misogynistic ickiness and unnecessary wordiness. ( )
1 vote JBD1 | Aug 5, 2019 |
A bonfire was then lit under a huge pole, and on that pole a huge banner, to hysterical applause, was suddenly unfurled and upon it, upsidedown, were written the words: "In The End Was Wordlessness."

I recall contacting my best friend Joel when marvelling at the rich depths of The Recognitions. Riveted as I was by the symbolism, I was sure I was missing half of the action. My best friend retorted that there are instances where a Catholic education demonstrates its benefits.

Darconville's cat was Melvillean in all its senses, the pejorative maintaining a lasting sting. It was a lengthy effort qua struggle, no doubt also influenced by those medical minds, Celine and Rabelais. Throughout were scattered truly touching scenes which throbbed with impact and emotion. Those stood in opposition to an obstinate macrocehallic umbrage. That said, I'm not sure we needed a six page inventory of Dr. Cruciifer's library. Isn't that a wicked fun name, Crucifer? ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
A book about a professor who has an affair with one of his students. Sound familiar, maybe a bit Nabokovian perhaps? A great book that's full of itself in terms of language, and makes us laugh. ( )
1 vote dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,836,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible