Harpo Speaks!

by Harpo Marx

Other authors: Rowland Barber

(Limelight). "This is a riotous story which is reasonably mad and as accurate as a Marx brother can make it. Despite only a year and a half of schooling, Harpo, or perhaps his collaborator, is the best writer of the Marx Brother. Highly recommended." Library Journal "A funny, affectionate and unpretentious autobiography done with a sharply professional assist from Rowland Barber." New York Times Book Review… (more)

English (8)  French (1)  All languages (9)
an excellent read. Interesting man, interesting times, and very well told. His co-author nailed Harpo's "voice". ( )
  jannid | Jul 15, 2018 |
Of the 100's of Bio/Autos of golden era Hollywood film legends i have read, including several Marx brothers ones, this is my favorite. Interesting, funny, strange, wacky, but very moving. The last couple hundred pages, after he meets Susan and marries, and the hilarious night time stories to the kids about the search for the children! The way they ran their family home and the closeness, and love they shared was a beautiful story. Not what i was expecting after reading the first couple hundred pages, expecting more shennanigans, but then wham, tricked into a wonderful story of their family life. Great Stuff. ( )
  Drew120 | Nov 14, 2016 |
Read it! The book is very funny and the man was very interesting. He is my favorite comedian. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 20, 2015 |
I really loved this book. As a long time fan, this book offered a fascinating glimpse into the life of the silent Marx brother. From being literally thrown out of school in the second grade to being a part of the Algonquin Roundtable, Harpo experienced many interesting things and met many interesting people. This biography is a touching look at Harpo's life. I recommend it for fans and those who are new to the Marx brothers. ( )
1 vote ChelseaRebman | Oct 12, 2012 |
This book follows the life of Harpo Marx. He has a way of seeing the good, overlooking the bad and riding the waves of his life. I was moved by the man and couldn't help comparing living today with his life. The exploits of the characters in his life were amazing and at times criminal. It was a very good read, with insights into the men who were the Marx Brothers. ( )
  brnoze | Apr 29, 2011 |

Harpo Marxprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barber, Rowlandsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Salojärvi, HeikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Bill, Alex, Jimmy, Minnie, and Susan from me with love.
I don't know whether my life has been a success or a failure.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,737,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible