HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Someone to Watch Over Me

by Lisa Kleypas

Series: Bow Street Runners (1)

Someone to Watch Over Me is a classic tale fromNew York Times bestselling author Lisa Kleypas. In this Regency romance, Kleypas, the author of Seduce Me at Sunrise, tells the story of a scandalous beauty with no memory of who she is and the man determined to unravel the secrets of her past.… (more)

English (37)  Spanish (2)  All languages (39)
DNF
  sgwordy | Dec 31, 2022 |
Grabbed this when I was in a pinch for an audiobook for a road trip. I’d never read Kleypas before, but I liked the idea of some of the characters being Bow Street runners. Anna Parker-Naples was an excellent reader, and I’m going to seek out the other Bow Street Runners series on audio in hopes that she continues to be the reader.
I enjoyed the writing, especially the romance. The mystery was predictable, but I’m guessing writing a truly twisty mystery was not the author’s main objective. Romantic writing is her strength, and she’s good at the build-up, the swoony declarations, and the truly steamy scenes. Grant and his goals for revenge on Vivian were problematic, but I think Kleypas turned that around effectively enough by the end. The hero doesn’t need to be perfect, and Grant certainly isn’t.
I read that the other books in this series are better, and I suspect that this isn’t the author’s best work. Since I enjoyed it enough to shell out the money to finish it on my kindle last night (sure, it was only $2, but I deliberated over that $2 for days), I’ll for sure be checking out her other books. ( )
  Harks | Dec 17, 2022 |
3 stars - while the plot is unrealistic it was still engaging (anyways I don’t read regency romances for their accuracy) I just didn’t like the hero at all. So he kinda ruined the book for me. ( )
  thewestwing | Aug 12, 2022 |
  archivomorero | Jun 28, 2022 |
Lisa Kleypas has such an easy absorbing style. A great storyteller, and I always learn more about the period.

Her plots are a puzzle to be solved - this time it is a woman, Vivian/Victoria, who loses her memory in a near drowning. Grant, the chief of the Bow Street Runners, tries to solve the puzzle.

Enjoyable, though I've read better Kleypas. She is a reliable pleasure. ( )
  Okies | Feb 17, 2022 |

Lisa Kleypasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Parker-Naples, AnnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, who made this book possible by taking care of my son Griffin every day while I wrote.
This labor of love included making at least two hundred peanut butter sandwiches cut into squares, changing approximately four hundred diapers, and watching untold hours of “Thomas the Tank Engine.”
Thank you, Mimi, from Griffin and me.
From the moment Grant Morgan saw the woman, he knew that—despite her beauty—she would never be any man’s bride.

She couldn't remember who she was...

A temptingly beautiful woman awakens in a stranger's bed, rescued from the icy waters of the Thames, her memory gone. Told that she is Vivien Rose Duvall, one of London's most scandalous beauties, she finds herself under the protection of enigmatic, charming Grant Morgan. Her life is in his hands. Deep in her heart, she knows he has mistaken her for someone else...

He was the only man she could trust.

As one of London's most eligible, and unattainable catches, Grant Morgan is a man who has known every kind of woman. And the one in his arms now seems so innocent, so vulnerable, that he can't help but be enchanted. And as his love for this mysterious beauty grows, he's determined to unravel the secrets of her past and discover the truth--no matter what.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 183,037,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible