Not Without My Daughter by Betty Mahmoody

Not Without My Daughter (1987)

by Betty Mahmoody, William Hoffer

Recently added byOlaDistrictLibrary, vikzen, vdrita, private library, webbreb, JennyGarner

English (14)  Lithuanian (3)  French (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (21)
Interesting read, but gives a pretty much American-biased view on the Iranian society. Of course, it's a story which happened almost 20 years ago, and the author went through a terrible time (it's a true story) which might explain it somehow.

Very catchy story however. ( )
  bbbart | May 30, 2015 |
Travel read, a compelling story of course, but saturated with facile and gooey patriotism, and padded with too many repetitive incidents; ghost written by the Midnight Express guy too, so you have to wonder... ( )
  CSRodgers | May 3, 2014 |
A fast paced book based on a true story. ( )
  bbeyeler | Nov 17, 2013 |
La storia che parla del coraggio di una madre che ha avuto nell'affrontare mille pericoli pur di salvare la propria figlia, calpestando la propria dignità, sperando e pregando continuamente Dio per la salvezza sua e di sua figlia Mahtab...oltre che coraggio ha avuto una grande fede in Dio e lui l'ha guidata attraverso mille pericoli verso la via della salvezza.
In balia di un uomo che non riconosceva più come marito e neanche come uomo, imprigionata in una cultura e in una religione che non le apparteneva e che le impediva di essere felice...
Betty è una delle tante donne prigioniere in Iran a causa dei mariti e di questa assurda legge dove le donne contano meno di niente e dove il marito è signore e padrone della loro e vita e della loro morte.
  Emanuela.Booklove | Oct 6, 2013 |
I was very upset by the movie, it made me sooo angry!!

When I read the book, the movie came back all too vividly. It made me feel even more claustrofobic than I already did.
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |

Betty Mahmoodyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hoffer, Williammain authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the memory of my father, Harold Lover.
My daughter dozed in her seat next to the window of a British Airways jetliner, her red-brown curls encircling her face, tumbling haphazardly below her shoulders.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312925883, Mass Market Paperback)

In August 1984, Michigan housewife Betty Mahmoody accompanied her husband to his native Iran for a two-week vacation. To her horror, she found herself and her four-year-old daughter, Mahtob, virtual prisoners of a man rededicated to his Shiite Moslem faith, in a land where women are near-slaves and Americans are despised. Their only hope for escape lay in a dangerous underground that would not take her child...

Now the true story of this courageous woman and her breathtaking odyssey bursts upon the screen in the Pathe Entertainment production starring Academy Award-winner Sally Field!

Not Without My Daughter is a Literary Guild Alternate Selection.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:55 -0400)

The American wife of an Iranian describes her ordeal in Tehran as a virtual prisoner of her fanatical husband and his family and her perilous escape with her daughter to freedom.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,176,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible