The Carnivorous Carnival (2002)

by Lemony Snicket

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events (9)

On the run as suspected murderers, the unlucky Baudelaire orphans find themselves trapped in the Caligari Carnival, where they must masquerade as freaks in order to hide from the evil Count Olaf.

English (71)  Spanish (1)  All languages (72)
This one was very dark since people got eaten alive by lions and the crowd were encouraging murder.
While this is good, this one can be viewed as problematic by the uncomfortable remarks about birth defects. One character says, "I thought people with birth defects were unfortunate, but they are hilarious" People are teased for being freaks and are deliberately put in the carnival to be humiliated.
However, this is where the question of being good or bad came in, it's where we question if you can be truly good or bad. We see the Baudelaires and how their morals have changed.
Also how the hell is having 2 equally strong hands freakish, I don't get it whatsoever, also hot dam is Esme cunning, possibly even more cunning then Olaf himself.

crazynerd | Mar 30, 2022 |
children's fiction (comic tragedy with fun vocabulary-building)
I don't think I'll ever tire of Tim Curry doing Sunny's voice. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
I've been reading this series as bedtime stories with Milly, although I did have to go back and read a few myself that she had raced through, unable to wait for me to read them to her at the pace of one chapter a night. They are genuinely brilliant books, funny and dark, mysterious and absurd.

This one had a first page so good I shared it on social media and hopefully convinced a few other people to read these books to their kids. Things are very complicated in the VFD plot now and my 9yo is coming up with all sorts of wild theories as to what is going on. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Dec 6, 2020 |
Absurd. Det känns väl sådär att karaktären med puckelrygg verkar ses som ett vattentätt monster. ( )
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |
Why do adults suck so much? ( )
  Shahnareads | Oct 22, 2019 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kupperman, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice — Our love broke my heart, and stopped yours.
When my workday is over, and I have closed my notebook, hidden my pen, and sawed holes in my rented canoe so that it cannot be found, I often like to spend the evening in conversation with my few surviving friends.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,526,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible