The Miserable Mill by Lemony Snicket

The Miserable Mill (2000)

by Lemony Snicket

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events (4)

English (89)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (91)
Lumber mill, hypnosis hi jinx, sword vs tooth fights, and chewing gum.... These poor kids! I can't stop reading ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
I honestly don't have much of anything new to say about this one. But I'm really excited for the next book, because I think that's the one where we meet the other kids, and I really like the other kids (though I really can't remember the names)

I do have a question though: How are they related to Sir? ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
This was an improvement over the previous book, but I was let down. I was hoping for some mystery that started connecting these books and thought I was about to get it in this book, but just seems like it was the same old Count Olaf shenanigans. This book also felt more rushed than the previous volumes, which by this I mean the other stories felt a little more thought out and well-executed. This felt like "Snicket" through darts at a dart board to see what would happen this time to the children. The first quarter of this book had promised, but it went down hill from there for me. I am starting to womder if these books are not served justice by me reading them in such a manner that when I finished one I am going unto the next. I may need to put a book or two between them soon. That being said I am continuing with the series, but for me these books are starting to become a little unfortunate. ( )
  CassieWinters | Oct 30, 2018 |
After terrible experiences trying to live with relatives. the Baudelaire children are sent off to work at a mill. Predictably, this is truly terrible and things only go from bad to worse when Count Olaf manages to worm his way back into their lives again.

This book is another excellent addition to the quirky series. It is necessary to read the other books first, but fans of the previous three titles will enjoy this one as well. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Oct 22, 2018 |
The Lemony Snicket series continues to be a favorite "MOAR MOAR" bedtime story. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionscalculated
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Beatrice -- My love flew like a butterfly Until death swooped down like a bat. The poet Emma Montana McElroy said: "That's the end of that."
Sometime during your life - in fact, very soon - you may find yourself reading a book, and you may notice that a book's first sentence can often tell you what sort of story your book contains.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407691, Hardcover)

"The Baudelaire orphans looked out the grimy window of the train and gazed at the gloomy blackness of the Finite Forest, wondering if their lives would ever get better," begins The Miserable Mill. If you have been introduced to the three Baudelaire orphans in any of Lemony Snicket's previous novels, you know that not only will their lives not get better, they will get much worse. In the fourth installment in the "Series of Unfortunate Events," the sorrowful siblings, having once again narrowly escaped the clutches of the evil Count Olaf, are escorted by the kindly but ineffectual Mr. Poe to their newest "home" at the Lucky Smells Lumbermill. Much to their horror (if not surprise), their dormitory at the mill is crowded and damp, they are forced to work with spinning saw blades, they are fed only one meal a day (not counting the chewing gum they get for lunch), and worst of all, Count Olaf lurks in a dreadful disguise as Shirley the receptionist just down the street. Not even the clever wordplay and ludicrous plot twists could keep this story buoyant--reading about the mean-spirited foreman, the deadly blades, poor Klaus (hypnotized and "reprogrammed"), and the relentless hopelessness of the children's situation only made us feel gloomy. Fans of these wickedly funny, suspenseful adventures won't want to miss out on a single one, but we're hoping the next tales have the delicate balance of delight and disaster we've come to expect from this exciting series. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:29 -0400)

Accidents, evil plots, and general misfortune abound when, in their continuing search for a home, the Beaudelaire orphans are sent to live and work in a sinister lumber mill.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,226,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible