The Ersatz Elevator by Lemony Snicket

The Ersatz Elevator (2001)

by Lemony Snicket

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)

Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events (6)

7,41976728 (3.84)47

I like how we're not having that "This word--which means this" in the narration anymore. Now we're just having the adult characters say thing like "This is a word--which means this" and then have our main character think "I've known that word since I was 10, but I'm too polite to tell that to this adult." I feel my middle school self would have enjoyed this way much more. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
While I loved this series as a whole, this particular title didn't quite meet the bar. It is difficult to recall exactly what threw me about this book so many years after having read it, but I'm guessing it might have something to do with the character Esme, who strikes me as too over-the-top, even in a series of books with highly unusual characterizations. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Oct 22, 2018 |
Still liking 'em and the way they're written, but they've "settled", per se. Good but not remarkable. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |
Ehh. Hating on trendy people is a bit boring, but it wasn't too bad. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
This book seems a lot slower paced than others in the series, and nothing new really happens, but I continue to love the wordplay in this series, which is as witty as ever in this book. ( )
  quaintlittlehead | Jun 2, 2018 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionscalculated
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kupperman, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- When we met, my life began. Soon afterwards, yours ended.
The book you are holding in your two hands right now - assuming that you are, in fact, holding this book, and that you have only two hands - is one of two books in the world that will show you the difference between the word "nervous" and the word "anxious".

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064408647, Hardcover)

Fans of Lemony Snicket's wonderful Series of Unfortunate Events won't be surprised to find that in the sixth installment the three Baudelaire orphans' new home proves to be something of a mixed bag. As our ever sad but helpful narrator states, "Although 'a mixed bag' sometimes refers to a plastic bag that has been stirred in a bowl, more often it is used to describe a situation that has both good parts and bad parts. An afternoon at the movie theater, for instance, would be a mixed bag if your favorite movie were showing, but if you had to eat gravel instead of popcorn. A trip to the zoo would be a very mixed bag if the weather were beautiful, but all of the man-and woman-eating lions were running around loose." And so it is for the bad-luck Baudelaires. Their fancy new 71-bedroom home on 667 Dark Avenue is inhabited by Esmé Gigi Geniveve Squalor (the city's sixth most important financial advisor), and her kindly husband, Jerome, who doesn't like to argue. Esmé is obsessed by the trends du jour (orphans are "in"), and because elevators are "out," Sunny, Violet, and Klaus have to trudge up 66 flights of stairs to reach the Squalors' penthouse apartment. (Other unfortunate trends include pinstripe suits, aqueous martinis--water with a faint olive-y taste--parsley soda, and ocean decorations.)

As the book begins, the Baudelaires are not only frightened in anticipation of their next (inevitable) encounter with the evil, moneygrubbing Count Olaf but they are also mourning the disappearance of their dear new friends from The Austere Academy, the Quagmires. It doesn't take long for Olaf to show up in another of his horrific disguises... but if he is on Dark Avenue, what has he done with the Quagmires? Once again, the resourceful orphans use their unique talents (Violet's inventions, Klaus's research skills, and the infant Sunny's strong teeth) in a fruitless attempt to escape from terrible tragedy. Is there a gleam of hope for the orphans and their new friends? Most certainly not. The only thing we can really count on are more gloriously gloomy adventures in the seventh book, The Vile Village. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:49 -0400)

The woeful saga of the Baudelaire orphans continues as evil Count Olaf discovers their whereabouts at Esmé Squalor's seventy-one bedroom penthouse and concocts a new plan for stealing their family fortune.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,687,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible