The Ersatz Elevator by Lemony Snicket

The Ersatz Elevator (2001)

by Lemony Snicket

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)

Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events (6)

The woeful saga of the Baudelaire orphans continues as evil Count Olaf discovers their whereabouts at Esmé Squalor's seventy-one bedroom penthouse and concocts a new plan for stealing their family fortune.

This one was actually pretty good. The author has hit his stride with the writing style, the cross-book plot is sidling into view, and the characters actually have some agency, all in the same book. ( )
  haloedrain | Aug 3, 2019 |
This book is IN! ( )
  gwengaudet | May 24, 2019 |
This book is IN! ( )
  gwengaudet | May 24, 2019 |
I like how we're not having that "This word--which means this" in the narration anymore. Now we're just having the adult characters say thing like "This is a word--which means this" and then have our main character think "I've known that word since I was 10, but I'm too polite to tell that to this adult." I feel my middle school self would have enjoyed this way much more. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
While I loved this series as a whole, this particular title didn't quite meet the bar. It is difficult to recall exactly what threw me about this book so many years after having read it, but I'm guessing it might have something to do with the character Esme, who strikes me as too over-the-top, even in a series of books with highly unusual characterizations. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Oct 22, 2018 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionscalculated
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kupperman, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- When we met, my life began. Soon afterwards, yours ended.
The book you are holding in your two hands right now - assuming that you are, in fact, holding this book, and that you have only two hands - is one of two books in the world that will show you the difference between the word "nervous" and the word "anxious".
If you are ever forced to take a chemistry class, you will probably see, at the front of the classroom, a large chart divided into squares, with different numbers and letters in each of them. This chart is called the table of the elements, and scientists like to say that it contains all the substances that make up our world. Like everyone else, scientists are wrong from time to time, and it is easy to see that they are wrong about the table of the elements. Because although this table contains a great many elements, from the element oxygen, which is found in the air, to the element aluminium, which is found in cans of soda, the table of the elements does not contain one of the most powerful elements that make up our world, and that is the element of surprise.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,743,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible