The Penultimate Peril (2005)

by Lemony Snicket

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events (12)

The Baudelaire orphans disguise themselves as employees of the Hotel Denoument and find themselves pursued by the evil Count Olaf and by others.

English (80)  Spanish (1)  All languages (81)
Not as good as the #11 but ok. I love the moral dilemma of this series ( )
  Tratiezone | Nov 8, 2022 |
Book 12 of 13 of the phenomenal series: Series of Unfortunate Events!

Please Read my review of the series here, as my review applies to every book in the series. https://www.librarything.com/work/1748/reviews/227861550 ( )
  am08279 | Oct 23, 2022 |
i really liked this one at first, mostly because it seemed to be slowly building to something that i assumed would build throughout the last book, too, but halfway through it just went back to the same sort of thing. there are still some good things, but now i just want to finish the damn things. ( )
  J.Flux | Aug 13, 2022 |
The penultimate peril is the beginning of the end, which here means the second to last trouble and account related to the Baudelaire orphans. This book follows on with there being no such thing as pure good and pure bad, the characters are so heart-wrenchingly real. We still have mysteries that we will never know the answer to, we never find out if anyone survives the fire, we will never know.
The setting was great and I love how the Baudelaires are falling into more and more questionable things, they aren't good, they aren't bad, they are falling more and more into the morally grey category.
Snicket has written these accounts so well. ( )
  crazynerd | Mar 30, 2022 |
Super curious if the sugar bowls holds the important mini statue thing from All the Wrong Questions series. ( )
  Kat_books | Nov 9, 2021 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionscalculated
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- No one could extinguish my love, or your house.
Certain people have said that the world is like a calm pond, and that anytime a person does even the smallest thing, it is as if a stone has dropped into the pond, spreading circles of ripples further and further out, until the entire world has been changed by one tiny action.
The burning of a book is a sad, sad sight, for even though a book is nothing but ink and paper, it feels as if the ideas contained in the book are disappearing as the pages turn to ashes and the cover and binding—which is the term for the stitching and glue that holds the pages together—blacken and curl as the flames do their wicked work. When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author.
“Off with you” is a phrase used by people who lack the courtesy to say something more polite, such as “If there’s nothing else you require, I must be going,” or “I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to ask you to leave, please,” or even “Excuse me, but I believe you have mistaken my home for your own, and my valuable belongings for yours, and I must ask you to return the items in question to me, and leave my home, after untying me from this chair, as I am unable to do it myself, if it’s not too much trouble.”

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,117,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible