The Penultimate Peril (2005)

by Lemony Snicket

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events (12)

The Baudelaire orphans disguise themselves as employees of the Hotel Denoument and find themselves pursued by the evil Count Olaf and by others.

English (75)  Spanish (1)  All languages (76)
This is probably the best out of all these books. It's when all the secrets get their most secretive and also morality is at its greyest which is real thought provoking and all that kinda stuff. ( )
  jooniper | Sep 10, 2021 |
This episode is set in a very strange hotel, and lots of characters from previous books reappear. It becomes ever more difficult to distinguish the good from the bad, and of course the orphans continue to be very unfortunate. The end is very close now, and there is a lot to wrap up. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Feb 22, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Book number 12 of A Series of Unfortunate Events is full of comedy, action, and more of the unfortunate events of the Baudelaires. Having not read the series since I was, the book still holds its intrigue with Snicket’s writing making it easy to transport the reader into the world of the Baudelaires and Count Olaf; while in this book showing how good and bad sometimes are one in the same and that intention is the biggest factor. All wrapped up with an ending that leaves that reader wanting to know what happens next as each book prior has. ( )
  Preston.Kringle | Jul 4, 2020 |
NU DRAR DET IHOP SIG. Vad fan är det egentligen som händer? ( )
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionscalculated
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- No one could extinguish my love, or your house.
Certain people have said that the world is like a calm pond, and that anytime a person does even the smallest thing, it is as if a stone has dropped into the pond, spreading circles of ripples further and further out, until the entire world has been changed by one tiny action.
The burning of a book is a sad, sad sight, for even though a book is nothing but ink and paper, it feels as if the ideas contained in the book are disappearing as the pages turn to ashes and the cover and binding—which is the term for the stitching and glue that holds the pages together—blacken and curl as the flames do their wicked work. When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author.
“Off with you” is a phrase used by people who lack the courtesy to say something more polite, such as “If there’s nothing else you require, I must be going,” or “I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to ask you to leave, please,” or even “Excuse me, but I believe you have mistaken my home for your own, and my valuable belongings for yours, and I must ask you to return the items in question to me, and leave my home, after untying me from this chair, as I am unable to do it myself, if it’s not too much trouble.”

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,171,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible