Skinwalker by Faith Hunter

Skinwalker

by Faith Hunter

Series: Jane Yellowrock (1)

English (74)  German (2)  All languages (76)
Some social teasing no real romance. Excellent read though, engaging, depth, multi layered.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
I felt it was about time that I started a new true Urban Fantasy series now when I had caught up with both The Dresden Files and Elemental Assassin in the sense that I now have to wait for the next instalments in those series to be published. I cannot say that my choice was preceded by any deeper investigation though. This one popped up in my Goodreads feed and it looked like it would be interesting so I went for it.

As it turned out it was not at all a bad choice. There are a lot of things to like in this book. It is quite well written with a good story that do not feel like it was hastily cobbled together. Jane appears to be fairly new to this business of being a vampire hunter for hire and it is the first book in a series so there are some of the usual hesitant feelings that you always have when an author settles in with a new series.

I pretty much instantly took a liking to Jane. She is not as sharp tonged and confident as Harry Dresden or Gin (The Spider). In general Jane has a bit less of a character and is more subdued, at least in this first book in the series. She is still an enjoyable main character and, as usual for these type of characters, she has quite some past and a few mysteries in her baggage, not to mention “The Beast”.

The vampires are of course also carrying with them quite a lot of past baggage and the origin of the vampires appears to be shrouded in mystery. A mystery the vampires seems to know the answer to and which Jane would like to know the answer to. A few hints are thrown around which makes the mystery even more intriguing.

The vampires are as well characterized as Jane. I quite liked a lot of them and the dialogues between Jane and vampires are far from the dumb and unintelligent exchange of insults that you sometimes read.

Those inclined more towards action and general blood splatter are not left without their chapters to read and I felt that it was fairly well done. Those of the readers that expects our hero to jump into bed every so often or have those traditional boyfriend or girlfriend issues that plague so many books will be left out however. There are little to none of the “romantic” stuff in this book. Personally I do not miss it.

One thing that I liked with this book is that the vampires are more traditional than in many books today. The good old crosses, stakes, holy water, silver and such like stuff are the weapons of choice for Jane.

As is mentioned in the blurb Jane is a skinwalker who can turn into any kind of animal. When she does we get to follow Jane, or rather “The Beast”, through the eyes and senses of the animal she has become. The internal monologue becomes quite different then and even though I at first felt it was a quite cool effect it did become a bit tiresome to read after a while. On the positive side this is probably the first book that I have read which actually deals with how a 50 Kg person can become a 150 Kg animal when shifting. Nicely done!

Being the first book in the series there is of course the usual world building and setting things up. I would say that the author succeeded quite well. It is a good book and the stage is set for further adventures. Perhaps this first instalment is not wow-great in my mind but definitely very good and I will pick up the next one in the series for sure.
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
Wow, this is a really good book. And anyone who sees my shelf will see the dearth of books on vampires, bikers, and brothels. But this book manages to incorporate these three elements into a cohesive and likable whole.

Jane Yellowrock has a past though she doesn't know quite what it is. But she knows she can shapeshift into a cougar and that she has skill at hunting vampires. And she loves bikes and comes fully armed to any party. Her latest client is a brothel in New Orleans run by a vampire of a couple hundred of years old which immediately sets up a bit of confusion on Jane's part. But she's tough and she's smart, and it's her job to catch the rogue vampire that is killing humans and vampires alike in New Orleans.

Faith Hunter does a good job creating a vampire culture, one with attraction between people and without the constant sexing that take up so many other vampire novels. (And we're not even speaking about the sparkly ones!) Instead, the humans behave like adults and admire without seducing, and Jane herself turns down the Prime Noce attentions of the head vampire of New Orleans. And he doesn't like that very much.

Jane's ability to transform into her Beast is explained as is the Cherokee ritual that created her shape shifting, the mass that has to be used to shape shift into another animal, and the "snake" that is within each living creature. Several dreams/visions show Jane more of her past and it's not always a positive one.

I'll definitely be on the lookout for more of these novels and hope they are as good as this one. ( )
  threadnsong | Mar 31, 2019 |
Well Faith Hunter, you have my attention. In my quest for new Urban Fantasy to read, I stumbled across Jane Yellowrock's series. It sat on my to-be-read pile for ages, and now I fully regret not getting to this book sooner. Skinwalker is the whole package. A shapeshifting, half-Cherokee, snarky and kick-ass heroine? Yes please! For the love of all things bookish, yes please.

I'm totally a Jane Yellowrock fan now. Her character somehow manages to walk that line between being too cocky, and being just sarcastic enough to keep things fresh. Jane is intelligent. She's funny. She doesn't let any man tell her what to do. In fact, that's what I loved most of all! A lot of UF has a heavy focus on romance. This book fights those rules. Jane is single, and she's not looking to change that anytime soon. Oh, and did I mention she rides a motorcycle? My kind of girl!

Jane shares her body with Beast, the main form she shifts into. Beast is a predator. A big cat who, while her mind is more simplistic than Jane's, is extremely intelligent and therefore just as dangerous. I liked being in Beast's head. Her thoughts were clear, and the perfect way to see further into the mystery of the rogue vampire that Jane was hunting. I will say that after finishing this book, I think I'll read the next one rather than listen to the audio book. I feel like Beast's thoughts would be better on paper.

I loved that this book was set against the vibrant backdrop of New Orleans. What better place for ages old magic than a city who pulses with the stuff? Good music, good food, and vampires. Who needs anything more? Jane's story flew by as I watched her navigate the city, meet the locals, and hunt down the rogue. This was a great start to a new series! I'm eager for the next book to be in my hands. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Jane is a great bad-ass main character, full of a mysterious past, shape-shifting abilities, super-human speed and strength, and a bunch of attitude. Her world contains witches and vampires and maybe some other supernatural creatures. Jane has been hired by old school vampires in New Orleans to solve a mystery and take out a rogue vamp. The elements all add up to a engrossing tale. ( )
  chavala | Dec 29, 2018 |

Faith Hunterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my Renaissance Man,
who knows the songs to sing and the rivers to run
I wheeled my bike down Decatur Street and eased deeper into the French Quarter, the bike’s engine purring.

Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind-a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts vampires for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who's killing other vamps...
Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind - a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts vampires for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who's killing other vamps.

"Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind--a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires--and hunts the undead for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fonteneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who's killing other vamps. Amidst a bordello full of real 'ladies of the night,' and a hot Cajun biker with a panther tattoo who stirs her carnal desire, Jane must stay focused and complete her mission, or else the next skin she'll need to save may be her own."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,468,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible