The Tale of Two Bad Mice (1904)

by Beatrix Potter

Series: Peter Rabbit (5)

2,191187,292 (4.14)26
While the dolls are away, two curious, naughty mice explore the dolls' house and steal their furniture.

yes, I've read another Beatrix Potter book... My nieces and nephews are coming to stay for a while, so I'm pre-reading loads of children's books, just to be prepared. ( )
  HeyMimi | Dec 28, 2020 |
A beautiful example of Potter's sly wit. My father-in-law couldn't stop laughing when he read this to my 3yo, and I laughed aloud too in a couple of places. It was pretty funny to read that "there was no end to the rage and disappointment" of the mice, who went off on a destructive tear. Their antics were pretty funny as were the commentaries of the human beings who saw the evidence and wanted a policeman doll, or, more wisely, a mousetrap. ( )
  adaq | Dec 25, 2019 |
Lacking in substance (even for Potter) and the moment that mousetrap appeared I think we were all hoping for a more Roald Dahl-ish ending but that's all made up for when you realise it's basically an episode of The Twilight Zone for kids. (And the illustrations are as beautiful as ever of course) ( )
  m_k_m | May 10, 2017 |
This is a simplified story, originally published in a larger format for little children. Having a love of fictional mice, and dollhouses, this is an especial favorite story of mine. The mice have tempers, and are certainly naughty, but nice, too. As always, the illustrations tell half the story, or more, and the words compliment them. ( )
  MrsLee | Apr 30, 2017 |
I would use this book as an interactive read aloud to kindergarten or first grade students to teach them that stealing is wrong and also use it to teach them different vocabulary words.
But i also believe its a good book for kindergartners. because with it being about dolls and mice it will allow for develoment of their imagination.
  tylerschmitt | Mar 20, 2017 |
For W. M. L. W. the little girl who had the doll's house
Once upon a time there was a very beautiful doll's-house; it was red brick with white windows, and it had real muslin curtains and a front door and a chimney.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,089,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible