Mary, Bloody Mary

by Carolyn Meyer

Series: Young Royals (1)

Mary Tudor, who would reign briefly as Queen of England during the mid sixteenth century, tells the story of her troubled childhood as daughter of King Henry VIII.
Recently added byKaffinatedWitch, jzilka, Rennie80
    Anna of Byzantium by Tracy Barrett (rebecca191, HollyMS)
    HollyMS: Both are works that take a look at famous historical females whose legacies today are mostly negative.
    The King's Rose by Alisa M. Libby (rebecca191)
    Nine Days a Queen: The Short Life and Reign of Lady Jane Grey by Ann Rinaldi (rebecca191)

3.5 stars

This is a YA novel about Mary I, set primarily during the time that Anne Boleyn is in Henry VIII's life. It's been a couple of days since I finished, and I read it so fast, I have to admit that I already can't recall what I was going to rate it. Thinking back, though, I think it's a good book for young people or maybe someone with their first introduction to Mary. There wasn't much in the story that I didn't already know, but there were a few characters/people I hadn't really read much about As the book came to a close, I wondered if the author was planning a sequel, but she did any "updates" in the Historical note at the end. ( )
1 vote LibraryCin | Apr 3, 2019 |
Medieval history is my favorite! This book takes a glance at the medieval age and the stories about what had really happened. This particular one is about one of King Henry VIII many children, Mary Tudor. She was once possibly the next Queen to be. But that was all ripped away when her father decided to marry his mistress. Her world then turned upside down, she was wearing the crown jewels to wearing rags and being a servant. But how she became queen you'll only know if you read this book because I'll never tell!
  Hayley.Hustead | Apr 19, 2017 |
Many years ago I was very active on bookcrossing and Bookobsessed. Sites where you shared your book and the reviews I wrote were mostly like friendly letters. I did warn you.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Thank you so much Megi! It just arrived 2 minutes ago. You know that it is scary to open packages around Christmas, but because I remembered you telling me you were planning to send me 2 RABCKs somebodies and nobodies and this book, I took the chance.
Really happy with this book.

I do need to read the other books in the Henry VIII episode (Books about his wives) first, but this will be great to read when i have read those.

on Sunday, January 29, 2006

8 out of 10
This book was fun. After finishing The lady in the tower by Jean Plaidy and The Secret Diary of Ann Boleyn by Robin Maxwell this morning, I was interested to read this book, the view of Mary, who of course hates Ann Boleyn. I finished it in 30 minutes. Very easy and fast read. I think the Royal Diary series are great for teens. (and not only for teens). I give it an 8, because it is such a good idea!

This book will travel back to America. Offered this in a swap and it is going to Bounty. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
A historical novel of Mary Tudor, daughter of Henry VIII and what she endures and witnesses as her father falls under the charms of Lady Anne Boleyn. His reign and behavior become increasingly erratic as Mary and her mother Catherine are banished to remote locations. Much suspense and intrigue as Mary hopes desperately to be reinstated as heir to the throne and reunited with her mother.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I did not like this book for one simple reason. I believe that it could have been a lot better had the book been written in a more engaging and interesting way. The book was very uninteresting and I found it hard to keep my attention. As for the main idea, I'm not even sure I grasped the concept of it. I think the book could have been written better, especially for the intended audience. ( )
  BrittanyNelson94 | Nov 27, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

Anne was a witch; I never doubted it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,141,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible