Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Games to Keep the Dark Away (1984)

by Marcia Muller

Series: Sharon McCone (4)

Picture Salmon Bay: an isolated, run-down northern California village, home to an idle fleet of fishing boats, a deserted amusement park, and a handful of secretive, even hostile residents. When P.I. Sharon McCone arrives in search of one of the town's wayward daughters, the trail leads to the thriving resort of Port San Marco. McCone believes that the missing woman, a former social worker named Jane Anthony, was involved in the suspicious deaths of three terminally ill patients at an exclusive hospice. But the elusive Jane Anthony turns up all too soon - washed up beneath a rotting pier in Salmon Bay. McCone discovers that no one - not her client, a reclusive photographer, nor Jane's mother, nor her hospice employers - wants to find out why she died. Then the killer strikes again, Jane's secret life comes into focus, and McCone finds out that someone wants her out of the way - permanently!… (more)

This is from an old, old series that I never systematically read. I think this is listed as the third. Not bad, but not terrific either. And the experience was somewhat compromised by the obvious 'slap and scan' text, as every once in a while I had to interpret which word had been corrupted by OCR errors. ( )
  ffortsa | Jul 19, 2020 |
Good solid early work from Muller. I enjoyed the story. ( )
  AliceAnna | Sep 13, 2019 |
Suspicious deaths at an exclusive hospice, a missing social worker, a town full of secretive, hostile residents, and a body on the beach lead Sharon McCone down a deadly trail of secret lives and into mortal danger. New boyfriend is disc jockey.
  cawillie53 | Mar 21, 2010 |

Belongs to Series

For my mother,
Kathryn S. Muller,
And in memory of my father,
Henry J. Muller
The wind whipped my jacket open as I went up to the guardrail.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,337,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible