War Horse (1982)

by Michael Morpurgo

Series: War Horse (1)

Joey the horse recalls his experiences growing up on an English farm, his struggle for survival as a cavalry horse during World War I, and his reunion with his beloved master.
    Black Beauty: The Autobiography of a Horse by Anna Sewell (kaledrina)
    The Call of the Wild by Jack London (LipstickAndAviators)
    LipstickAndAviators: A similar tale of an animal going through various hardships, many different masters and lots of adventures. The setting is very different, being about dogs pulling sleds in the North of America during the goldrush but the strains that the characters (both animals and humans) are under are very similar. I think Morpurgo was obviously drawing inspiration from this book when he wrote WarHorse.… (more)
    Seabiscuit: An American Legend by Laura Hillenbrand (TheLittlePhrase)

English (114)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (117)
This is one of the few cases where I'll say the movie was much better than the book. The basic story of the book is exactly the same as "Black Beauty," just set during World War I. There was nothing all that new or original about the story or writing. The movie, however, was very well-done and added a lot of depth to the characters and situations. I would recommend seeing it over reading the book. ( )
  bugaboo_4 | Jan 3, 2021 |
First book I think I've ever read written in first person by a horse. Moving story of Joey the horse and his incredible story in WW1 going from a farm in Devon to the trenches in France in world war 1 ( )
  cbinstead | Oct 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
My fifth grade students voted for this to be the final read aloud for the 2017- 2018 school year. After we finished today, I had them vote (anonymously) and give a brief explanation for their rating.
Some reviews were very positive:
"I liked that Albert never gave up on Joey", "...it mad me really emotional knowing the life of Joey", "Some parts left me on the edge of my seat..."

while other reviews were not as positive..

"I did not like it... most of the parts were boring.", ...it was ok"

Over all, it averaged to 3.28. It was an interesting book to read aloud.

Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
Door Baran

War Horse is een leuk boek over de band tussen een jongen en een paard. Het is heel emotioneel en spannend. Het is echt een aanrader voor mensen die oorlogen interessant vinden en voor dierenliefhebbers.
Wat goed is aan dit boek is dat het een film heeft om te zien na dat je de boek hebt uitgelezen.
Wat minder goed is dat het niks slecht heeft waar door ik het hier niet kan schrijven.

Het is zeker een boek is dat ik aanraad om te lezen.
Ik geef het 5 sterren op 5 omdat het een het een boek is dat jou op een avontuur mee sleurt. ( )
  literair_adolescent | Apr 27, 2020 |

Michael Morpurgoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bos, TjallingTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Egeraat, Els vanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorthuis, HenriëtteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Place, FrancoisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lettice
My earliest memories are a confusion of hilly fields and dark, damp stables, and rats that scampered along the beams above my head.
Author's note: In the old school they use now for the village hall, below the clock that has stood always at one minute past ten, hangs a small dusty painting of a horse.
This is the entry for the original, unabridged text; please don't combine with movie/play adaptions!

Sad book full of ever lasting friendship and sorrow. Probably a drama

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,723,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible