Black Beauty: The Autobiography of a Horse (1877)

by Anna Sewell

15,724192294 (3.88)1 / 434
A horse in nineteenth-century England recounts his experiences with both good and bad masters.

English (184)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (188)
One of my all-time favorite books as a horse-mad girl, even though my riding days were cut short by family dynamics. I loved getting into the mind of a horse as best one can, and to see what good treatment vs. unkind treatment yields. I often thought of Ginger and her views on humans, and how many adventures Black Beauty had throughout his long years.

As an adult reading this book I was struck by many things that I didn't notice at the time: the cause of Black Beauty's accident that ruined his knees being caused by the evils of drink. And there were many instances of lectures against alcohol, what was called in the US "Prohibition," together with many instances of an effort for more humane treatment of animals.

The story of Old Captain in what was probably the Charge of the Light Brigade during the Crimean War is now something I have historical reference to; then, it was just simply a horse charging into battle. The care of horses' injuries being warm bran mash points out the strides in veterinary medicine since this book was written. But I was glad to read the many instances both animal and human characters advocated for the better treatment of the horse. I just wish there were more of them around! ( )
  threadnsong | Sep 11, 2022 |
This is possibly my favorite book from childhood. I have a huge soft spot for animal stories and this one filled it right in. The story of a horse told by the horse. Black Beauty journeys form Joe's house to other homes as well. Some were good and some treated him with badly. This book is the reason I refuse to watch horse races any more and got me think more about animal rights. Interesting fact I have a connection with Anna Sewell too. Have to ask my mom how we are related again, but it from my grandfathers side and it's by marriage. Maybe I'll rewrite this again when I know the actually relation.

Note to Self: I need to reread this book again and by a better copy. ( )
  Ghost_Boy | Aug 25, 2022 |
this was surprisingly enjoyable! ( )
  changgukah | Aug 22, 2022 |
A timeless story that should be required reading for everyone, whatever the age. When this book was written, horses were used for every kind of pleasure and work, and were part of most upper class households. Many thought of them the way we think of cars, vehicles there for our use and disposable when they no longer meet our requirements. These, however, are sentient creatures, with needs and feelings, and Sewell wrote a moving and informative piece in their behalf.

Who would not fall in love with Black Beauty; who would not suffer for these noble creatures when they are mistreated? The descriptions of check-reining made me feel sick for the horses and completely angry with the people who would do such a thing for fashion's sake alone. Some of the horses were treated well with poor owners and some badly with wealthy owners, proof that the difference was in the heart of the person who owned them. Sewell set out to expose the cruelty and idiocies of animal mistreatment and she succeeded in spades.

We don't have the exposure to horses that this society did. There are not horses in our streets and we do not use them for hauling our goods to market, but there are still lessons to be learned here. You can see the results of mistreatment of dogs and other domestic animals as close as your internet connection or your local animal shelter. Man failing to appreciate the animals around him is an age old problem and one that still requires our attention and improvement.

This is the first book that has made me cry quite a while! ( )
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

To my dear and honoured Mother, whose life, no less than her pen, has been devoted to the welfare of others, this little book is affectionately dedicated.
The first place that I can well remember, was a large pleasant meadow with a pond of clear water in it.
.... there is no religion without love, and people may talk as much as they like about their religion, but if it does not teach them to be good and kind to man and beast, it is all a sham....’ — Chapter 13, last paragraph.
… remember, we shall all have to be judged according to our works, whether they be toward man or toward beast. — Chapter 11 – Plain speaking
isbn 0140300643 associated with the novel, not the abridgement.

ISBN 0140366849 is a Puffin edition of Black Beauty.
Please do not combine this work with either books or film adaptations. If you have a copy of this work, please consider supplying the name of the author (in the case of a book) or director (if it is a film).
ISBN 0689842554 is an Aladdin Classics edtion of Black Beauty.

A horse's story,
Man's kindness and Man's cruelty,
Black Beauty feels both.
(hillaryrose7)

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321032, 0141808357, 0141334886, 0143106473

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100127, 1400108616

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438987, 1909438995

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,600,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible