Hot Water by P. G. Wodehouse

Hot Water (1932)

by P. G. Wodehouse

At the house party at Chateau Blissac, Brittany features a rather odd array of guests this year.Mr. J. Wellington Gedge is hoping for some peace and quiet while his wife takes herself off for a while. She, however, has invited numerous visitors to the chateau, to whom he will have to play reluctant host. Senator Opal and his daughter are expected, and so is the chateau's handsome owner Vicomte de Blissac.When a certain letter goes missing, landing the Senator in the proverbial hot water, it's up to Packy Franklyn, a great pal of the Vicomte's, to sort out the mess. Unfortunately, this involves a little light safe-cracking.… (more)
Recently added by2v, undoc, popal, PaulGodfread, yellowwalls, G1MZT, private library, chilperic, KarenRendall, peterbg

English (10)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
Packy, watching her tensely, felt how unerring had been Mr Slattery's knowledge of feminine psychology when he had said that he guessed that if there was going to be a murder in the home she would rather it was the old man than her. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Oct 27, 2019 |
This novel is set in a French town, in a chateau which is being rented out by the wealthy Mr and Mrs Gedge. A steady stream of visitors arrive, many of them not who they seem to be...

There’s a large cast of main characters in this book. I found it difficult, at times, to keep track of who was whom, particularly when so many were masquerading as someone else. By the time I was about three-quarters of the way through I had to re-read the first couple of chapters, as I’d forgotten some of what had happened.

The story is a complex farce, and I found it quite amusing in places. It's written in classic Wodehouse style with literary allusions, unexpected encounters, and some cleverly-written action.

Recommended if you like PG Wodehouse, but although it's considered one of his best works, I personally prefer the Jeeves series. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Feb 8, 2018 |
A fun stand-alone novel written in the 1930s set mostly in France. ( )
  leslie.98 | May 2, 2017 |
Not my favourite Wodehouse novel but “Hot Water” features enough top comedy to make it a worthwhile read. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Nov 10, 2016 |
Plum really outdid himself! I'd give this ten stars if I could! ( )
  eruditescythian | Jun 3, 2016 |
To Maureen O'Sullivan with love from Ethel, Leonora, Miss Winks, John-John and the Author.
The town of St. Rocque stood near the coast of France.

Overlook Press blurb:
J. Wellington Gedge seems to have everything a man could desire: a rich wife, a chateau, a life of ease in the south of France. But all he really wants is to return to California, not least because Mrs Gedge, who holds the purse-strings, is scheming to have him appointed American ambassador in Paris, which means he will have to wear a sissy uniform. Fortunately, her plans are thwarted by a complicated series of events which involves French aristocrats, American crooks, an English novelist and the appalling Senator Opal, whose daughter, Jane, has a mind of her own.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,384,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible