Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Tanglewood Tales (1853)

by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Series: Windermere Series (3)

A collection of Greek myths retold for children.

More sanitized Greek tales and myths from Hawthorne, this time focused on heroes such as Jason, Theseus, and Odysseus. Still good, but I enjoyed the first book more - they were more fun. The last tale was an attempt to clean up the story of Persephone to 19th century standards for children. It was especially hard to do without mentioning that all of the characters were gods. But Hawthorne gave it his best shot, and almost pulled it off. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
I truly enjoyed being able to read this book. Although I may not be the biggest fan of traditional mythology this author did an excellent job in his arrangement of these classic tales. Although Greek myths are often very repetitive in nature where the same hero fights the same type of battle against insurmountable odds and strange creatures, this author changed that through choosing some of the great heroes and explaining where they had come from briefly but skipping to one specific journey or tale and going into more detail about that. For example, when Theseus was traveling to the island of the Minotaur instead of just skipping over the journey the author chose to add the details through saying the young people were not always sad. At this point he also related the story to the audience through causing the reader to think about what they would do if there weren't any adults around for that length of time. I also feel the author did an excellent job at telling one part of the lives of these heroes while at the same time not missing any important information from their lives. Although I feel in some ways this book could benefit from more illustration I also appreciate that it may have been a style choice to encourage the use of imagination. The main theme of this book is courage, and bravery, which Greek mythology has always been an excellent way to convey. Overall I feel this would be a great book for a classroom library. ( )
  ccarpe13 | Oct 22, 2015 |
Contents: The Wayside; The Minotaur; The Pygmies; The Dragon's Teeth; Circe's Palace; The Pomegranate Seeds; The Golden Fleece.
  librisissimo | Mar 12, 2015 |
Retellings of Greel myths for children. Rather bowdlerized by modern standards. ( )
  antiquary | Jul 23, 2010 |
This was the book that started my love of mythology. I read these tales over and over at various ages.
  eslee | Mar 18, 2007 |

Rouse, William H. D.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sterrett, Virginia FrancesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winter, MiloIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winter, MiloIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A short time ago, I was favoured with a flying visit from my young friend Eustace Bright, whom I had not before met with since quitting the breezy mountains of Berkshire.

A collection of Greek myths retold for children.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,304,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible