Dust and Shadow: An Account of the Ripper…

Dust and Shadow: An Account of the Ripper Killings by Dr. John H. Watson (2009)

by Lyndsay Faye

From the gritty streets of nineteenth century London, the loyal and courageous Dr. Watson offers a tale unearthed after generations of lore: the harrowing story of Sherlock Holmes's attempt to hunt down Jack the Ripper.

2.5 stars

The title pretty much says it. This book has Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson looking into the Jack the Ripper murders.

I listened to the audio. I’m not sure if it was more the audio I wasn’t a fan of, or if I just don’t like Sherlock Holmes books (written by Conan Doyle OR by others). The audio didn’t help, anyway. I lost interest way too much. There were times here and there that I was paying attention; I think it depended what else I was doing at the time. In any case, I wasn’t a fan, though there were parts that were ok. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 23, 2019 |
this was a reasonable bit of fun. i think lyndsay faye did a good job with capturing and evoking voice, character, mood, and setting, and this novel was obviously a labour of love. i would read a whole book from faye about miss monk -- i would have enjoyed her presence a bit more in the story, once she was introduced. she has all kinds of potential! and i would have enjoyed mycroft being a bit more present, to see how faye would've worked him in tribute. he was never actually present in this story, though holmes went off to see him a couple of times, and his edicts carried forward through holmes. ( )
  Booktrovert | May 7, 2018 |
[a:Lyndsay Faye|1894025|Lyndsay Faye|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1317684103p2/1894025.jpg] braves the legendary waters of both Ripper and Holmes with her imaginative novel, Dust and Shadow: An Account of the Ripper Killings by Dr. John H. Watson. Let me say right up front that I’m not an aficionado of either genre. However, I enjoy a good historical fiction mystery / thriller. So I was all in for this audiobook!

Told in the classic Arthur Conan Doyle style, Faye writes from Watson’s point of view. Sherlock Holmes has been called in as consulting detective on the gruesome Whitechapel murders. He and Watson employ various methods to information gathering, including the use of people who live and work in Whitechapel.

Chief among these is the fictional Miss Mary Ann Monk, who proves a welcome addition to a testosterone-heavy cast of characters. She’s able to elicit information and gain entry to places in a way that the men cannot. And she does it with considerable aplomb. Miss Monk reminds me of Faye’s [b:Jane Steele|25868918|Jane Steele|Lyndsay Faye|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1459272823s/25868918.jpg|45741473] from the pleasing 2016 novel of the same name.

As you can imagine, Holmes and Watson hit some bumps in the road. Inflammatory reporters are suggesting Holmes is the killer. Plus, he’s wounded during their investigation. These combine to increase the urgency of finding the Ripper, and add to the novel’s suspense.

Faye strikes the perfect note in her writing style, strongly reminiscent of the Conan Doyle oeuvre. The plot and pacing roll right along, never straying into unnecessary details. She pokes gently at social commentary, both about the nineteenth century and at Fleet Street journalists.

The narration by Simon Vance was spot-on. He articulates the many accents, as well as Watson’s measured tones perfectly. A perfect match for Faye’s writing!

This was the last book I’ll complete for 2017. Interestingly, my first book was also a tale with ties to Sherlock Holmes—Kareem Abdul-Jabar’s [b:Mycroft Holmes|24458231|Mycroft Holmes|Kareem Abdul-Jabbar|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1441239436s/24458231.jpg|44050784]. Bookish synchronicity, FTW.

More reviews at TheBibliophage.com. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
This one I like alot, it dealt with incident, keeping in mind the fact they were indeed real people involved, though I did have one question at the end. This one is going into my collection no doubt. ( )
  LGandT | Feb 1, 2018 |
Well done Holmesian pastiche. The only weakness is the necessarily historically correct but contrived ending. Excellent narration. ( )
  jamespurcell | Sep 23, 2017 |

Faye, Lyndsayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jim LeMonds
and his Five Easy Pieces
At first it seemed the Ripper affair had scarred my friend Sherlock Holmes as badly as it had the city of London itself.
Prologue: February 1887. "My dear Doctor, I fear that I shall require your services this evening."
Chapter 1: It has been argued by those who have so far flattered my attempts to chronicle the life and career of Mr. Sherlock Holmes as to approach them in a scholarly manner that I have often been remiss in the arena of precise chronology.

As England's greatest specialist in criminal detection, Sherlock Holmes is unwavering in his quest to capture the killer responsible for terrifying London's East End. He hires an "unfortunate" known as Mary Ann Monk, the friend of a fellow streetwalker who was one of the Ripper's earliest victims; and he relies heavily on the steadfast and devoted Dr. John H. Watson. When Holmes himself is wounded in Whitechapel during an attempt to catch the savage monster, the popular press launches an investigation of its own, questioning the great detective's role in the very crimes he is so fervently struggling to prevent. Stripped of his credibility, Holmes is left with no choice but to break every rule in the desperate race to find the madman known as "the Knife" before it is too late.

A masterly re-creation of history's most diabolical villain, Lyndsay Faye's debut brings unparalleled authenticity to the atmosphere of Whitechapel and London in the fledgling days of tabloid journalism and recalls the ideals evinced by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's most beloved and world-renowned characters. Jack the Ripper's identity, still hotly debated around the world more than a century after his crimes were committed, remains a mystery ripe for speculation. Dust and Shadow explores the terrifying prospect of tracking a serial killer without the advantage of modern forensics, and the result is a lightning-paced novel brimming with historical detail that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Fiction's most famous
detective meets London's most
infamous killer.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,820,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible