Murder with Peacocks

by Donna Andrews

Series: Meg Langslow (1)

Three Weddings...And a Murder So far Meg Langslow's summer is not going swimmingly. Down in her small Virginia hometown, she's maid of honor at the nuptials of three loved ones--each of whom has dumped the planning in her capable hands. One bride is set on including a Native American herbal purification ceremony, while another wants live peacocks on the lawn. Only help from the town's drop-dead gorgeous hunk, disappointingly rumored to be gay, keeps Meg afloat in a sea of dotty relatives and outrageous neighbors. And, in whirl of summer parties and picnics, Southern hospitality is strained to the limit by an offensive newcomer who hints at skeletons in the guests' closets. But it seems this lady has offended one too many when she's found dead in suspicious circumstances, followed by a string of accidents--some fatal. Soon, level-headed Meg's to-do list extends from flower arrangements and bridal registries to catching a killer--before the next catered event is her own funeral...… (more)

English (56)  German (1)  All languages (57)
Meg is helping plan three weddings in the same summer. Those of her best friend, her mother, and her brother. All weddings are happening in the same town so many of the people know each other. At one of the pre-wedding gatherings, one of the guests turns up dead. Meg’s father has always been interested in murder investigations, so he takes it upon himself to try to figure out what happened, along with Meg’s help at times. All the while, Meg is still trying to plan three weddings!

I listened to the audio and I’m going to rate it ok. The audio itself was fine, but there was a lot of wedding… and three bridezillas. I found some of the wedding traditions odd. I’m not sure why Meg was in charge of planning three weddings for other people; for a while, I thought maybe she was a wedding planner, but nope. There were some other wedding traditions that were different from what I know – do people actually open gifts ahead of time? (In this case, Meg opened the gifts and made a note of everything because apparently the bride and groom (to-be) were too busy. I couldn’t figure out why it needed to be done ahead of time, anyway.) Overall, it was ok. I won’t be continuing the series, however. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 11, 2021 |
First in the series, barely a pick for me. I know it was supposed to be humorous but I struggled with a main character who was a doormat & a bigot who had no use for the “gay guy” except that she had no problem using him to solve many of the problems that she took on herself. The narrator had a voice that frayed my nerves. The father was the redeeming character although the author did him dirty when it came to solving the mystery. 2 ⭐️ ( )
  KarenMonsen | Oct 19, 2021 |
Silly in an over-the-top kind of way, but enough fun that I pulled it back off the giveaway pile & decided to keep it and seek out the sequels. ( )
  VictoriaGaile | Oct 16, 2021 |
My husband came home from school today to find me laughing so hard I couldn't speak. Andrews has a tone wryly reminiscent of Amelia Peabody, but with a modern twist, and a deft way of creating a scene that suddenly culminates in humorous chaos. The mystery wasn't unsolvable, but the ride was enjoyable. I wouldn't have minded a tiny bit less exposition at the beginning, but I powered through it because my Tax Guy said that, if I liked [b:Dad Is Fat|16141924|Dad Is Fat|Jim Gaffigan|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1354052742l/16141924._SY75_.jpg|21973739](my recommendation to him) I should try this one. Admittedly, I was rather skeptical so my lower expectations helped a bit.

Will definitely try the sequel. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Meg Langslow is visiting her hometown for the summer where she is helping her mother, her best friend Aileen and her brother, Rob with their upcoming weddings all to take place in the new two weeks in Yorktown. Meg is wedding planner to all and none of the brides have made her job easier. The latest example is Meg’s future sister in law's latest demand is to track down some wild peacocks to have on hand at her upcoming wedding. Her mom has not ordered any of the dresses, but at least the dress shop owner is handsome and charming! As guests begin to arrive, her soon to be father in law’s sister turns up dead near the wedding site. Meg’s father suspects foul play and Meg comes to agree. Wedding preparations continue as more bodies pile up. Will the killer be caught before he or she can strike again? Will it ruin the wedding? Will the peacocks behave during the ceremony? Murder, with Peacocks is an entertaining read with memorable characters and lots of laughs. ( )
  scholarlysource | Sep 19, 2021 |

Donna Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fasolino, TeresaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Huiskes, AlexanderBearbeitungsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meier, FraukeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I had become so used to hysterical dawn phone calls that I only muttered one halfhearted oath before answering.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,252,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible